1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do Coturnix quail start laying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Loretta212, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have 2 coturnix quail hens they are about 5-6 weeks old (not sure if thats all true they were given to me ). I was wondering when they usually start laying and if the seasons have anything to do with it

2. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Ive heard that they are fully grown at 6 weeks and should start laying shortly after....but thats what i heard sooooo im not positive

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi ,
    They can start laying around 6-8 weeks. We just got our first egg on sat, and our bird was 8 weeks to the day!

This time of year things are getting iffy though. They need at least 14 hrs. of light, and I've heard corturnix need to be kept warmer than other breeds. I have mine inside.

Their season is slowing down, so I'm not expecting much from our young birds.

4. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:right now I only have 2 and the weather has been very warm ( a little too warm for my 9 month pregnant self!) howeveri do i have them in a easy to move around rabbit hutch so bringing them in would be easy

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:I have come to found out that they will lay when they are ready whether it be 6 weeks 8 weeks 10 weeks or never

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They lay when they lay:) can't force nature at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by