1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Dual Purpose Birds Mature?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I have 1 Cuckoo Maran and 4 GLRW Roos that are about 13 weeks old. When will they be full size so that I can manage them right into freezer camp? I want them to really be full grown so as to gain every ounce of carcass possible.

Also, how will 14 month old Barred Rock Roos be for a cookin'. I've 2 of those that will be going to camp, as well.

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Right about 18 weeks. That is where size vs. starting to get tough cross in the dual breeds.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It always depends on where you got them, hatchery birds will be much smaller in all respects vs a well bred version of the breed. It also depends on what you think is big or weight worthy and some breeds mature later than others, your feed regime is also critical to their growth.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The 14 month old roosters will be fine. Just plan on some slow cooking method for them. Crock pot, slow baking, something that will leave the meat tender. Flavor should be excellent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by