When do Easter Eggers start laying?

Pics
Today was one of those surprise egg days, we found and egg so long and torpedo shaped we all laughed. I have 2 EE and one is 5 onthe, ( never has aid yet ) and one that is molting and has not laid in 2 months. The surprise is ? Who laid the egg? The one who had not laid in 2 months and is still growing out the feathers and looking a bit rough, or the 5 months old ( tomorrow) EE girl I hatched from an egg last fall. It has some blood on it so I'm assuming it was my baby's first egg, but I heat EE take a whole lot longer to lay then most birds. Would my guess be right in assuming the young girl laid her first egg today? It was nice seeing a nice pretty green egg since I had not had one in a few months from my RIR ameraucana mix since she started to molt.

Today was one of those surprise egg days, we found and egg so long and torpedo shaped we all laughed. I have 2 EE and one is 5 onthe, ( never has aid yet ) and one that is molting and has not laid in 2 months. The surprise is ? Who laid the egg? The one who had not laid in 2 months and is still growing out the feathers and looking a bit rough, or the 5 months old ( tomorrow) EE girl I hatched from an egg last fall. It has some blood on it so I'm assuming it was my baby's first egg, but I heat EE take a whole lot longer to lay then most birds. Would my guess be right in assuming the young girl laid her first egg today? It was nice seeing a nice pretty green egg since I had not had one in a few months from my RIR ameraucana mix since she started to molt.

Spell check, Karla, Spell check!
big_smile.png

If it wasn't the size of the moulting EEs usual egg, I'd guess the young one. How long has her comb been red? If about a week, I'd say it was her. If the answer is "Red? It isn't red" then I guess your moulter has started back in business.

Andromeda laid her first egg at 21 weeks, it was a big Large. All those since has been pretty much mid-range Medium.
Zorra, our big Black Australorp has laid 2 really big "torpedo" eggs. Her usual egg is Large, pushing XLarge but she sometimes throws some WHOPPER triple Jumbo as in 88 grams. USDA Jumbo is defined as anything over 71 grams and the sizes are stepped by 7 grams. XJ would be 78, XXJ 84. The unusually big ones have always been double yolk.

Bruce

Sorry lol, I was on my iPad and it spells it like it wants or changs words lol. Im off to see her now to see how red she is in the face. The egg was big, tornado shaped and big. Really funny to see an egg so big and so long.

Last edited:
Well it was my baby girl pip, she is 5 months to the day today and laid a real long pretty green egg torpedo shaped. I cracked it open and it had 2 yolks in it. I have 2 EE girls, one 10 months old ( she laid at 5 months also) and pip, and when I compared them this morning I knew that the older EE had not laid it, she has a lighter comb, pinkish so she is not yet laying as she is almost done molting. The other EE has a red red face and comb, I knew right away she laid that egg. Doing the happy dance!

I wish I could have a rooster!! I would so like one but we cant have one cause of the crowing. I feel sooo sad.
he.gif
sad.png

I wish I could have a rooster!! I would so like one but we cant have one cause of the crowing. I feel sooo sad.:he :(
me to, I would love to have my own breeds. But what I love is getting local fertile eggs and putting them under my girls, this way they brood them and hatch them out and then care for them until there big. I love that.

Does it make a difference to what there bred with? Mine was a RIR and americauna . She laid in 2o weeks. I have another which is a mutt not sure who she is mixed with who is 21 weeks and no red face yet.
It very much does matter what the mix is. RIR are quick to lay, and probably passed that trait on to their offspring.

This is one of the reasons that there's really no "normal" time for first egg for EEs, since they are mixed breed birds and usually their parentage is not known.

Mine finally started laying at around 34 weeks. Those little stinkers. They are beautiful, and sweet, and took their darn sweet time in starting to lay! Their eggs are just beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom