When do EE typically start laying?

cldavis1019

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
How many weeks old were your EE before they started laying? Ours are 17 weeks and free range most of the day, if that matters. I’ve noticed a recent change in the redness of their faces, but no squatting, but they’re also a little skittish. I’m getting excited hoping that it’s soon 😬

How many weeks old were your EE before they started laying? Ours are 17 weeks and free range most of the day, if that matters. I’ve noticed a recent change in the redness of their faces, but no squatting, but they’re also a little skittish. I’m getting excited hoping that it’s soon 😬
I have 3 EE’s. They didn’t lay until they were 26-27 weeks. BUT that was also in December so maybe they would have started a few weeks earlier if the weather was right. But about 2 weeks before they laid an egg their combs turned from dark pink to dark red almost overnight it seemed!
Also, only one of mine did the actual “squat” the other two never did. I didn’t have any roos at that time.
It’s coming soon!!
I noticed one morning one of the girls was very talkative and seemed distracted and almost frustrated. I came out later and found a nice light sage green egg!
A week later I started getting 2 blue ones too! So all 3 laid within a week of each other.
Good luck!

Just got our first at a little over 19 weeks old 🥹
IMG_0324.jpeg

I've had EE start laying at 17 weeks, I've had a few that took 9 months. Each chicken is an individual, you can never be sure what they will do.

Some EE flocks start laying fairly young on average, some may not lay until they are a little older. If you know when the flock your EE's came from started laying and you have enough of them for averages to mean anything you can get a good idea when you might get your first egg.

The combs and wattles getting red is a great sign they may be close. I personally do not put much faith in the squatting, I've seen that not mean anything a few times. I don't know why them being skittish would mean anything.

I understand the frustration and excitement. The odds are you will see an egg before too long with the combs and wattles turning red so hang in there. I don't think you are going to have to wait 9 months, trust me. that is really frustrating.

free range most of the day, if that matters.
It might matter if they decide to lay out in range area.

Here's another way to check if they are near to laying, examine off the roost at night:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
You might have to.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I have 3 EE’s. They didn’t lay until they were 26-27 weeks. BUT that was also in December so maybe they would have started a few weeks earlier if the weather was right. But about 2 weeks before they laid an egg their combs turned from dark pink to dark red almost overnight it seemed!
Also, only one of mine did the actual “squat” the other two never did. I didn’t have any roos at that time.
It’s coming soon!!
I noticed one morning one of the girls was very talkative and seemed distracted and almost frustrated. I came out later and found a nice light sage green egg!
A week later I started getting 2 blue ones too! So all 3 laid within a week of each other.
Good luck!
Yes the redness seemed to appear overnight for these as well! I was putting them up last night and I had to do a double take because I thought one was injured and was raw on her head 😂 so when I realized it was just her going from pink to red I started to get overly excited haha

I've had EE start laying at 17 weeks, I've had a few that took 9 months. Each chicken is an individual, you can never be sure what they will do.

Some EE flocks start laying fairly young on average, some may not lay until they are a little older. If you know when the flock your EE's came from started laying and you have enough of them for averages to mean anything you can get a good idea when you might get your first egg.

The combs and wattles getting red is a great sign they may be close. I personally do not put much faith in the squatting, I've seen that not mean anything a few times. I don't know why them being skittish would mean anything.

I understand the frustration and excitement. The odds are you will see an egg before too long with the combs and wattles turning red so hang in there. I don't think you are going to have to wait 9 months, trust me. that is really frustrating.
I mentioned them being skittish because when I try to put my hand on them to test out if they squat they just run. We don’t have a rooster. So I wasn’t sure if the squatting theory was reliable when they’re skittish 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom