1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do eggs get larger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckking, Feb 6, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    It's so exciting! My 4 hens are finally all laying at 23 weeks. They all started in the last week or two. All their eggs are on the smallish side except for my GLW, who's eggs are a bit larger, but very pale and more oblong (her first egg anyway). When will they start laying larger eggs? They are on Layer feed, free choice oyster shell, get meal worms, crickets, and lot's of green stuff like romaine, dandelion leaves, cabbage, kale and whatever other scraps we have. They are pretty much all laying everyday as well now. Is this normal or am I missing something?

***EDIT*** I have RIR's, GLW and Delaware

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Perfectly normal- those are pullet eggs. You won't see consistently larger eggs until they reach 1 year. But, they seem to get a little bigger each time they lay. Don't worry, they still taste great!

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Yep, I definantly agree with Lesa!

As a note; 2 of my hens have been laying for about a month now and there is a definant difference in size. They've gone from puny to smallish-medium. I still expect the eggs will get larger, but at least now I don't have to double the count for my baking! [​IMG]

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Our chickens eggs have gotten larger as they get more mature, but my younger son LOVES the "teeny" pullet eggs when they start laying.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's easier on immature pullets to lay smaller eggs. It is very hard them to release those giant, double yolkers they tend to lay, every once in awhile. Those may look great, but they come with some risk to young hen. I wince when I see them.

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks so much for the input! We are thrilled no matter how large they are! [​IMG]

Thanks Fred - You just made me remember giving birth to my 9lb 15oz son..... Wince ain't the word for it [​IMG]

7. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Your Delaware are larger birds like my Barred Rock, and right now I have 7 BRs laying. The first of this set started laying several months ago and the last of them started laying late - almost 2 months behind the first hen - and the difference in the sizes is amazing! The late bloomer's egg is somewhere between a small and medium egg you would buy at the grocery store. The old timer's edd is HUGE - it barely fits in the egg cup of a standard egg carton and touches the top of the carton when I close it. So you can see, it doesn't take long for the larger hens to "pump up" the egg size. And it sounds like you are giving them a very healthy diet, which is just as important in my opinion as genetics to egg size and quality. You should b enjoying "omelet size" eggs very soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    I have 2 Isa and 2 red production, .( I asume, they are not the same), and they started to lay last August, small brown eggs. Until now , the eggs aren't change the size very much. I bougth them as chicks (1 month). I've got the idea, that their eggs should be bigger by now, but [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here one Isa.

[​IMG]
    Here , in this group , you can see the red ones also....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by