When do geese lay eggs???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Eb, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Eb

Eb New Egg

Dec 2, 2009
    We have 5 geese(2 females/3 males), and they have not laid any eggs. When is their laying season? Last year we only had 2 females and 1 male, and we kept them confined. The geese laid a few eggs, but we picked them up and did not let them sit on them. Then, we let them keep their eggs and they made a nest and sat on three eggs for a couple of weeks. However, about one and a half weeks from the time they should have hatched, one of the geese accidentally crushed the eggs. Now our geese are free ranged and I am afraid they will try to find a secluded area in the woods to make a nest. Our neighbors geese did this and they were killed by coyotes. Should I build a shelter for them to make a nest in?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine start in march.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Mine started laying on Jan 31. I have all my geese in pens to control who breeds to who. I placed plastic 55 gallon barrels in the pens that they are using as nests. Last year I had some that free ranged and I also picked up the eggs. If they ever saw me stealing the eggs they would move the nest. There was a couple of times the nest was right under my nose. They are very good at concealing their nest. Having them penned is a plus for me because I didn't want to search for nest again this year. You could build them a shelter they might lay in it or they might not. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Mine have been laying since the first week of February. I'd have to wonder if yours aren't hiding their nestss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by