When do guinea keets start to look like guineas?

anjbagley

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Star Valley Wyoming
Sorry, I am new to guineas! I ordered 4 french guineas from a hatchery and I suppose that I got them. I looked at pics and the keets looked similar to the "chipmonk" look of several chicks I got. I figured that when they started feathering I would know the guineas. Well, they are all 8 weeks old now and I do not have anything that is grey with spots. I still have several different shades of brown chicks that are all feathered but I am still not sure of their identity but, shouldn't the guineas feathers be coming in grey? Did I not recieve the guineas or does it take a long time for them to look like a guinea hen? What are some differences that I can look for. Sorry, I know that I am clueless. Thanks for any help.

Mine first feather out a brown color, then they start getting in their grey spoted feather in the rear first a couple weeks later, within a month they are feather out like my older guineas, hope this helps

Here are some of mine they are diffefrent ages from 2 weeks to 2.5 months

2.jpg

Last edited:
LOL I know what you mean. When my first guinea keets hatched, I looked at the little things in the incubator and said, 'these are guineas?" It seemed like it took forever for them to "grow up" but they did.

Have patience! You're lucky, they're over the fragile stage now!

Laurie

Be aware that in between the cute "chipmunk" keets and the beautiful grey polka-dot adults is the really ugly adolescent phase.
LOL! I was wondering the same thing. I have 8 Keets for the first time...ages 3-4 2eeks old and I was worried that I had gotten ripped off because they still look like little chickens and they are different colors. I'm so glad I saw this post. I can rest a little easier now. Us Newbies gotta stick together! Hahaha!

DSCN0888.JPG

The guineas I raise can be a lot of different colors. And most of them will change colors a couple of times before they get their final adult coloring. If your babies are supposed to be the typical Pearl Grey color you should see some of that color by the time they are 2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom