When Do hens go Broody?

Mr.Grantly

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
I have 2 iso sexs 1 year old, 1 bantom cochin, one barred rock, and one buff braham. The barred rock hen is the only one of the new birds other than the isos that are laying eggs and my question is now that my rooster is breeding everything when will one of my hens go broody? I would really like to hatch some chicks for my boys:rolleyes:

Thanks Granty

Mr.Grantly :

I have 2 iso sexs 1 year old, 1 bantom cochin, one barred rock, and one buff braham. The barred rock hen is the only one of the new birds other than the isos that are laying eggs and my question is now that my rooster is breeding everything when will one of my hens go broody? I would really like to hatch some chicks for my boys:rolleyes:

Thanks Granty

They will go broody whenever they choose to.​

Some breeds go broody more often than others - the ISA Browns and Barred Rock are production breeds, so broodiness was deliberately supressed by breeders, so they are unlikely to go broody. Not to say it's impossible, just unlikely. I'm not real familiar with Bramha's.

A lot of bantam breeds are broody by nature and Cochins and Silkies top the list, so I think it's highly likely your Cochin will go broody at some point. I used to get a few oddballs that would go broody in the wintertime, but once spring is in the air, broodiness was like a disease and they ALL got it.
tongue.png

There's not a lot you can do to encourage broodiness other than have a nice nest box available to her. Some people will suggest leaving eggs in the nest, but that is highly unreliable and often a waste of good eggs!

Good luck!

Quote:
My sister's flock consists of 8 Isa Brown's for exactly this reason - she didn't want to deal with broody hens. Guess what she got right before Christmas? A broody hen! At first she decided to just wait it out but when the hen turned "psycho", she gave in and got her a couple of chicks. Now the hen is a proud mama, parading them around the coop.

They go whenever they feel like it. I have two barred rocks that go broody every spring. Its a pain to deal with if you aren't hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom