When do hens sexually mature?

Kr1spy_dreamz

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
Las vegas, Nevada
when do hens except mating? Im asking this because i have 2 older hens, 3 younger pullets, and 2 younger cockerels, around the same age as the pullets. The younger cockerels seems to have been mating with the older hens, but when they try the younger hens the hens would just run away like they are attacked. Do hens mate when they start laying eggs?

Technically yes, hens start becoming sexually mature once the reproductive tract starts working aka when they start or are about to lay eggs this varies sometimes. Do you plan on keeping both cockerels? Because five hens (well 3 pullets) are not enough for 2 cockerels you should get rid of one or at least keep him separated.

when do hens except mating? Im asking this because i have 2 older hens, 3 younger pullets, and 2 younger cockerels, around the same age as the pullets. The younger cockerels seems to have been mating with the older hens, but when they try the younger hens the hens would just run away like they are attacked. Do hens mate when they start laying eggs?
You can’t have that ratio with that number of girls. You need to get rid of a cockerel.

Technically yes, hens start becoming sexually mature once the reproductive tract starts working aka when they start or are about to lay eggs this varies sometimes. Do you plan on keeping both cockerels? Because five hens (well 3 pullets) are not enough for 2 cockerels you should get rid of one or at least keep him separated.
I forgot to add the fact that they are alot more cockerels since we hatched a few eggs a while back are we are planning on keeping 2, we also bought some female chicks (5 i think) (also we have 5 cockerels, bad i know)

Just curious regarding hen/pullet breed(s) and the cockerels too. Silkie roosters and cockerels with my mature hens have been a non issue but those hens are 2+ times the body mass of the Silkies. There is no hard and fast rules in decent ratios. Additionally, while those cockerels those older hens have most likely instilled fear into them.

Just curious regarding hen/pullet breed(s) and the cockerels too. Silkie roosters and cockerels with my mature hens have been a non issue but those hens are 2+ times the body mass of the Silkies. There is no hard and fast rules in decent ratios. Additionally, while those cockerels those older hens have most likely instilled fear into them.
Oh definitely those 2 hens absolutely terrorise the younger chickens especially when the cockerels mate with them

Oh definitely those 2 hens absolutely terrorise the younger chickens especially when the cockerels mate with them
Do you have any idea regarding breeds because a 12 pound Bhrama Cockerel/Rooster would be a bad idea with game type hens(5 poundish) was where I was going with this breed specific question. Additionally, game roosters might just fight each other all the time.

Do you have any idea regarding breeds because a 12 pound Bhrama Cockerel/Rooster would be a bad idea with game type hens(5 poundish) was where I was going with this breed specific question. Additionally, game roosters might just fight each other all the time.
Here are some pictures of the cockerels (some pictures may be old.)
16015000474131960015231064065499.jpg
16014999562616705510593034709554.jpg
20200723_160520.jpg
20200723_160644.jpg
20200723_160134.jpg

20200926_151843.jpg

Which 2 cockerels or 1 should i keep? What should i expect when i keep said Cockerel? (I really like the australorp mix if im gonna be honest)

Back
Top Bottom