When Do Hens Start Laying?/Share Your Laying Experiences

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Australia
I'm the mother of three little chicks- Beatrice, Keisha and Mackenzie- all five days off three weeks old.

I was curious as to when they start laying. This is my first time caring for chicks and I'm raising them on my own.

Is there a usual age as to when they may start laying? I read somewhere it was around 6 months and they usually lay an egg every day.

What are your experiences with handling hens laying, and any funny/interesting stories you'd like to share about your flock?

Thanks, Rachel.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Yeah most do start laying at around 6 months but some may lay earlier or later. It depends on the breed. Same goes for how often they lay eggs. All depends on the breed. I think the best egg-laying pure-breed is a Leghorn, mine will lay one a day. However if you have a hybrid layer they will tend to lay one egg a day too and start laying exactly at 6 months or maybe even earlier.

One of my old hybrid hens laid her first egg at around 20 weeks, I think, and it was a double yolker!!!

What breed are your chicks, do you know?

Yeah most do start laying at around 6 months but some may lay earlier or later. It depends on the breed. Same goes for how often they lay eggs. All depends on the breed. I think the best egg-laying pure-breed is a Leghorn, mine will lay one a day. However if you have a hybrid layer they will tend to lay one egg a day too and start laying exactly at 6 months or maybe even earlier.

One of my old hybrid hens laid her first egg at around 20 weeks, I think, and it was a double yolker!!!

What breed are your chicks, do you know?

I got them from a lady who advertised them online. I did forget to ask the breed; I didn't think about it at the time. Hopefully I'll be able to see when they start to mature.

Thanks for the information. I didn't find anything useful at the time.
bow.gif

My flock should have started to lay at 6 months but it was winter time when they turned 6 months so they didn't lay until 9 months old. My silkie didn't lay her first egg until one year old. It depends on breed of chicken and time of year. Other chickens I had that turned 6 months in the summer laid when 6 months. Just be patient and your hens will lay when they are ready.

There are signs that your hen will begin to lay soon. Their faces will turn red, their wattles and comb. Some may squat when you come by them.

I got them from a lady who advertised them online. I did forget to ask the breed; I didn't think about it at the time. Hopefully I'll be able to see when they start to mature.

Thanks for the information. I didn't find anything useful at the time.
bow.gif
You can post pictures of you chickens and we may be able to tell what they are.

Yay, I would love to see your little babies! I got 6 chicks for my birthday. They were the best thing that ever happened to me, I can't even imagine my life without chickens now ... I'm obsessed
smile.png

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay, I would love to see your little babies! I got 6 chicks for my birthday. They were the best thing that ever happened to me, I can't even imagine my life without chickens now ... I'm obsessed
smile.png

I got my chicks a week before my birthday as an early present. I love my little chicks a lot. They're very friendly and they love to cuddle. Hopefully photos soon, they won't stay still enough for me to get them; they keep turning out as little blurry fluff-balls.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
You can post pictures of you chickens and we may be able to tell what they are.

This is my beautiful chick Keisha, also the biggest, who never stays still:

This is the beautiful Mackenzie, the medium sized one, and also bit of a poser:

This is the beautiful Beatrice, the smallest:

Thanks
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom