When do I bring out the heat lamp??

As much as I am "anti" routine use of heatlamps for normal chickens in a decently managed coop in weather warmer than the minus digits F...

...I should also point out that heat lamps DO NOT cause condensation. On the contrary, they decrease condensation and lower the relative humidity of the air. Honest. (Perhaps there is a confusion between absolute and relative humidity here -- it is relative humidity that matters in the coop).

That said, IMHO they are still an unnecessary fire risk and electricity waste in most cases. Reasonably winter-hardy breeds in still, DRY air (which depends mostly on good management and good ventilation, although climate plays some role too) should not be getting frostbite til you get down towards 0 F and really most are fine for considerably below that.

Put the chickens in HUMID air, though, such as what happens when people shut off most or all of their ventilation in a misguided effort to 'keep the warmth in'... and you can get frostbite just a few degrees below 32 F.

The moral of the story being, concentrate on good ventilation and good management so you have DRY air with no condensation (see note below) and you really should not need heat until it gets QUITE cold out.

(note: even if the coop air is acceptibly low humidity, you will sometimes get unavoidable condensation [frost] on the windows -- it should be ONLY the windows -- if there is a truly massive temperature differential between inside and outside, like if it is -10 F inside the coop but -40 outdoors. While a layer or two of bubblewrap on the windows will help, there is sometimes a limit to how much you can do about it and *just* the windows frosting over will not kill anyone. If frost is forming on the walls and ceiling, though, you seriously need better ventilation or more insulation or both)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If you make sure your coop is pretty tight and has some insulation in it heat lamp isn't necessary and it is a waist. If you put a real thick layer of straw on the floor and make sure you change the water for hot water at least once a day, twice if you have time, your chickens will do fine. Use an open water container made of rubber so it won't break. They will huddle together in the coldest times, (usually with the rooster in the middle Ha). As someone else said the heat will compound any moisture problem inside the coop and that is bad for the birds. If you take your table scraps, potato peels and what ever you have, put them in a pot and steam it then feed it to the chickens they will love it and helps keep them warm. give them lots of protein if you have it.

Chicky tocks<<<<<<<<<<<I saw your signature and want to wish you luck on your hatch!
fl.gif
thinking pipping and zipping thoughts for you!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom