When do i get a rooster?

chicklens11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hi i have 8 chicks they are 2 weeks old.I been doin my reseach on everything i need to do with them im new to chickens. I been wounderin when to get a rooster in know ya dont need one to have eggs but i always wanted one. Do io get one when i move the chicks to the coop or when there older and laying eggs. right now i know i have all hens. If i buy a rooster will it be a threat to the hens when there older? Lots of questions needed to be answered please help thanks!!

Jimmy

That depends. Whenever you get one, he should be around the same age as them. Meaning dont get an adult when there still pullets. Wait till there fully feathered and at least two thirds there adult size. What kind of rooster do you want to get? I highly recommend a silkie. I have a silkie rooster and he is just the best roo in the world! He would actually be an exception to the rule I just said.I don't know if there all like him but mine will actually raise chicks as if he is there mother!

I was thinkin bout getting a Rhode Island Red roo because that's what mainly chicks I have

Greetings from Kansas, Jimmy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Good luck to you, your hens and your rooster!

I have chickens, chicks and roosters of all different sizes, breeds, ages, shapes, and colors with no issue...so whenever really. A grown rooster won't mess with chicks, but it's easy enough to find a young cockerel to grow up with your chickens...but older roosters are the easiest with hens and people alike.

That depends. Whenever you get one, he should be around the same age as them. Meaning dont get an adult when there still pullets. Wait till there fully feathered and at least two thirds there adult size. What kind of rooster do you want to get? I highly recommend a silkie. I have a silkie rooster and he is just the best roo in the world! He would actually be an exception to the rule I just said.I don't know if there all like him but mine will actually raise chicks as if he is there mother!

I have a slightly larger than bantam sized cockerel, a silkie rooster, and a white rock rooster. The White Rock is my man...
The silkie attacks me...quite a few times. If I'm on my cell phone. No phone, no problem...the issue is that I dont get reception inside my house, so I have to go outside to use my phone...and if the silkie should happen to see me there he is flogging me in my shins...I just keep him pushed back til my Rock comes and chases him off of me. High Five big guy! The cockerel is at the very bottom and does nothing really. He crows and follows the flock. The silkie is tops at watching over everyone though. And if something comes he runs the opposite way everyone else is running...So He alerts and the hens run to safety while the silkie makes himself the target. he is awesome for that...

Wow. That's actually kinda funny. Apparently they are not all like my big boy! I had a golden Phoenix once and he was also an awesome roo. Died protecting the flock! Even had a son to carry on the legacy! Same thing happened though.LoL He could be kind of territorial towards people. You really had kick him to get him off.

Back
Top Bottom