when do I give up

Rooneytune

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Tacoma
I have been working on introducing a new pullet to my flock of 7 + 1 roo.
D.gif
We have done the whole pen in the run thing, and I put her in with the big kids at night (they are about 1 month older). The problem is that the new kid, ChiChi, freaks out when any of the other chickens get near her which gives them a good reason to chase her down and peck her.
wee.gif
I have tried to teach her the old "if you don;t run they can't chase you" idea, but she is not buying it. How long do you think I should let this go on before I send ChiChi to the next adoptive home on the list....
idunno.gif

What if you picked your most docile chicken from your flock and put it in alone with her? If they can "bond", when they go back in together it would take some of the pressure off the "new kid". I think sometimes its just too much temptation when the new chicken is so outnumbered.

If you have a separate space do what dianaross said. I have a small coop and I take one or two low pecking order chickens and put them together for a week or two then return all three to the flock. There are still issues, but the one newbie gets less of the brunt of it.

Back
Top Bottom