When do I need to quit checking for pasty butt?

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
I am checking 26 babies twice a day, only 2 or 3 have had a little, this is my 3rd day with them so they are about 5-6 days old. I put the grit out after they woke up this morning and had eatten so that didn't think it was food, but I was shocked how they all ran over and started eatting it? Not sure I understand all this, but with all the great info I have gotten on this web page, I'm sure I would have killed them by now if not for what I have learned from you all. I tried raising the water up on some blocks but looked like some of the smaller ones were not able to reach it well so I took the blocks out for a few more days, it did help keep the water a lot cleaner but I dump and clean it twice a day anyway. Also when should I quit putting sugar in the water, I also add the powdered Vitamins & Electrolytes. I'm sure I should keep that up though??? Sorry, lots of questions.

The sugar is only for the first day. By the second day they should be eating well and won't need it anymore. This is for shipped chicks. Home hatched shouldn't need it at all.

By the fourth day if they haven't developed pasty butt I assume they're not going to and stop worrying about it. If something were to happen to them in the brooder that really stressed them I'd pay attention again for a few days because pasting is a stress reaction.

As for the water, put a small piece of board or something in the chicks can get on top of without too much problem. The on top of that put your wood blocks then the water on top of those. This way they can still get to the water easily enough, but it's high enough above the bedding to make it harder for them to foul the water. It won't entirely eliminate the problem, but it should alleviate it a lot.

I use a square or rectangular platform with hardware cloth on top of it to set my waterers on. It also has the added advantage of keeping them out of any wet bedding in the event of a leak.

I usually stop with the electrolyte powder after the first week when I start giving them green feed. Some folks use it right on. It's your call.

A.T. Hagan :

The sugar is only for the first day. By the second day they should be eating well and won't need it anymore. This is for shipped chicks. Home hatched shouldn't need it at all.

By the fourth day if they haven't developed pasty butt I assume they're not going to and stop worrying about it. If something were to happen to them in the brooder that really stressed them I'd pay attention again for a few days because pasting is a stress reaction.

As for the water, put a small piece of board or something in the chicks can get on top of without too much problem. The on top of that put your wood blocks then the water on top of those. This way they can still get to the water easily enough, but it's high enough above the bedding to make it harder for them to foul the water. It won't entirely eliminate the problem, but it should alleviate it a lot.

I use a square or rectangular platform with hardware cloth on top of it to set my waterers on. It also has the added advantage of keeping them out of any wet bedding in the event of a leak.

I usually stop with the electrolyte powder after the first week when I start giving them green feed. Some folks use it right on. It's your call.

Is the sugar water just regular water with a tablespoon or so of sugar? Where do you get the electrolytes/vitamins? At the feed store?​

I got it at the feed store, it's a powder in a packet, 1 teaspoon per gallon, and yes it is tap water, warm not cold, or at least room temp. I mixed 1/2 cup per gallon but it sounds like they don't need the sugar anymore so I'm going to stop that and continue with the electrolyte/vitamins.

They will fill up on grit during the first couple of weeks of life in my experience, so you sprinkle it like salt over their food starting at day three. This from the McMurray website chick care page.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

A lot of people on BYC skip the grit if feeding crumbles, but I like to give it (since I give other seeds at times). Also I feel it helps if they eat something they aren't supposed to.

A sugar water recipe is also on the McMurray hatchery chick care page.

Last edited:
4kids*2dogs :

A.T. Hagan :

Is the sugar water just regular water with a tablespoon or so of sugar? Where do you get the electrolytes/vitamins? At the feed store?​

A cup of sugar to one gallon of warm water. After they are all eating well dump it out and replace with fresh water with no sugar. Typically I do this after the first eight to twelve hours. It's just to get some energy into their systems if they've had a rough ride in the postal system. Home hatched chicks this should not be necessary.

The vitamin/electrolyte powder I get from the feed store. The directions on the package are not written for small scale use though. I use a quarter teaspoon per gallon of water changed daily. If you have a 1/8th tsp measure then use that, but the amount we're talking about is so small that the 1/4 tsp is fine.

These last several batches of chicks I've also been adding one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (the real stuff, not the flavored white vinegar type) per gallon of what along with the other stuff. I'm not yet convinced that it does anything since I've never had coccidiosis in my chicks ever so it's hard to tell. It does seem to help keep the waterers from getting slimy as fast as they would otherwise when using the vitamin/electrolyte mix. Just don't do this in metal waterers. Plastic or glass only.​

I agree with everyone. If they havn't pasted by day 3 or 4, then you don't have to worry about it. Generally speaking, the danger of pasting has passed after they are a week old. It seems like a magical number, because I once had a Cochin that pasted 3 times a day, then poof, one week old and no pasting.

Chickens continue to amaze me
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom