I am checking 26 babies twice a day, only 2 or 3 have had a little, this is my 3rd day with them so they are about 5-6 days old. I put the grit out after they woke up this morning and had eatten so that didn't think it was food, but I was shocked how they all ran over and started eatting it? Not sure I understand all this, but with all the great info I have gotten on this web page, I'm sure I would have killed them by now if not for what I have learned from you all. I tried raising the water up on some blocks but looked like some of the smaller ones were not able to reach it well so I took the blocks out for a few more days, it did help keep the water a lot cleaner but I dump and clean it twice a day anyway. Also when should I quit putting sugar in the water, I also add the powdered Vitamins & Electrolytes. I'm sure I should keep that up though??? Sorry, lots of questions.