when do i put babies in with elder chickens?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
i am confused
sad.png
and when will the elders stop chasing them around every time they get around each other? thanks!

Younger chickens should be at least 16 weeks old or nearly the same size of the older chickens before introducing them to mature chickens. They need to be old enough to fight back when the pecking order squabbles and fights begin. They also need to be old enough that they can't be easily bullied and starved out by the older chickens.

yes the chicks should be almost fully grown. I had the same thing to happen when i put a 3wk old bantam in with the 7wk old black sex links...
wink.png

I have 7 chickens about 10 weeks old. Is it ok to put a mama hen and her 4 little chicks in with them??? The new chicks are about 2 weeks old. Will she protect them? Or do they not have a chance?

Quote:
You could try it and see what happens. Seems mama would protect them. It always depends on the chicken personalities the most. There's almost always some pecking, and little ones make really loud chirps when they get pecked, sounds awful, but sometimes its not as bad as they make it seem.

Okay, same question but different.
wink.png
Mine are now six weeks and I will be getting a few more from a friend that are 4 weeks younger...when can they be together? Are they close enough that when the young ones are about 6-8 weeks they can join in? How do you introduce them?
Thank you!

We just started on a new batch of chicks to raise, and for us it worked to put them in with the hens at about 5 months. There will still be a little bit of chasing and pecking, but no one will really be hurting your chicks. Once the pecking order is established, and the chicks are big enough to know how to run away from the chickens if they seem threatening, none of your chickens should be getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom