When do I remove the paper towels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amaliayosa, Mar 16, 2008.

1. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone, my babies are now 8 days old. I started off putting their feed in piles throughout the brooder (for about 4 days) Then yesterday I put down 2 feeders (full) and scattered feed in front of them. Did the same this morning.
    I am wondering when it wil be ok to remove the paper towels and use the pine shavings alone. The mess is getting to be a bit...how ya say....overwhelming.
    Thanks

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they only need it for the first 3 days or so.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's time...I use them about a week then pull them up...I have found that if you put down a puppy pad or even paper towels under the feeder and water it helps keep the shavings out alittle more...

4. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thanks for that suggestion about the puppy pads under the feedere/waterers, tuffoldhen. I spend alot of time changing water with the chicks. Duh, I never thought of that!!!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    If you plan to putdown shavings you need to lift up the waterer with something. with my silkies it was plastic VHS cases. then I moved on to bricks

6. JDH

JDH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2007
    Anyone else having the issue of chicks eating the shavings? I want to put mine on shavings as they are 10 days old but everytime I try, the eat the shavings. I assume this is bad.

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Almost everyone has had that problem. After a while they know its not food. Dont worry about it [​IMG]

8. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes thats exactly what mine did, I panicked and put the paper towels back down.

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You can put the shavings back down. They will know its not feed soon [​IMG]. They are weird at times but you gotta love em

10. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I took the paper towels out at 3 days,and watched them for the first hour or so, they would pick up the pieces of wood chips and drop them right away, it was like they were just checking it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by