When do I remove the paper towels?

amaliayosa

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
Hey everyone, my babies are now 8 days old. I started off putting their feed in piles throughout the brooder (for about 4 days) Then yesterday I put down 2 feeders (full) and scattered feed in front of them. Did the same this morning.
I am wondering when it wil be ok to remove the paper towels and use the pine shavings alone. The mess is getting to be a bit...how ya say....overwhelming.
Thanks

It's time...I use them about a week then pull them up...I have found that if you put down a puppy pad or even paper towels under the feeder and water it helps keep the shavings out alittle more...

Thanks for that suggestion about the puppy pads under the feedere/waterers, tuffoldhen. I spend alot of time changing water with the chicks. Duh, I never thought of that!!!

Anyone else having the issue of chicks eating the shavings? I want to put mine on shavings as they are 10 days old but everytime I try, the eat the shavings. I assume this is bad.

Almost everyone has had that problem. After a while they know its not food. Dont worry about it
smile.png

I took the paper towels out at 3 days,and watched them for the first hour or so, they would pick up the pieces of wood chips and drop them right away, it was like they were just checking it out.

Back
Top Bottom