Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later than that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BuffOrps32

Free Ranging
Nov 26, 2018
Elementclan
I want to raise Turkeys for Thanksgiving. When is the optimal time to start one day old chicks? Another question, what is a recommended breed? Which is better heritage or just any meat Turkey?
Thank you for any advice and recommendations.

I want to raise Turkeys for Thanksgiving. When is the optimal time to start one day old chicks? Another question, what is a recommended breed? Which is better heritage or just any meat Turkey?
Thank you for any advice and recommendations.
It all depends on what size turkey that you want. Broad breasted varieties will reach processing size sooner than heritage varieties. You can find places to order broad breasted varieties pretty much any time of the year. Heritage varieties, unless raised with supplemental light will not normally begin laying until mid March in the northern hemisphere so the poults are not normally commercially available until late April.

If you want fast growth and a big finish size, stick to broad breasted varieties. Broad Breasted Whites also known as Giant Whites by some sources are often the choice because the lack of dark pin feathers presents a very pleasing carcass.

If properly fed from the start they can easily reach processing size by 4 months old and can become enormous by six months.

I recently processed heritage turkeys. At 4 months old they dressed out at 8 1/2 lbs. Those that were allowed to reach 5 1/2 months dressed out at 13 lbs. When I raised broad breasted turkeys they easily reached the mid 30 lb. range at 6 months old.

FYI, all domestic turkeys are the same breed - Turkey. There are many varieties of turkeys. Day old turkeys are poults.

You may want to check out the Meat Birds ETC forum.

First time turkey raisers often fail to understand the attachment factor that can happen when both they and the poults bond to each other. Very many people that had the best intentions of processing the turkeys become so attached to their turkeys that they cannot process them.
I don't intend to grow attached to them. I raise meat rabbits and chickens but I was still unsure about Turkeys. Thank you for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom