When do Jersey Giants start to lay eggs

rwwjsw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
I have 6 Black Jersey Giant hens they are 11 months old and they have not started to lay yet. I keep them in a coop with a couple of RR and W Leghorns that are the same age and are laying wide open. I know that the Giants start later than most other birds do because they grow slower but about what age do they start. The woman I got them from said about 9 months but I am a couple past that now. Is this normal or could there be something else wrong with them. I am feeding them a good laying feed and cracked corn mix give them lots of green veggies and oyster shells so I do not think diet is the problem. During most of Jan and Feb all of my birds stopped laying, they have now just really gotten back laying good, could this have slowed them up? Any Ideas or do I just need to be a little more patient.
Thanks for any help

I don't have any clue on this breed so I'm giving you a bump so you can try to find an answer!!
smile.png

Missi

I only have 1, so I'm not real experienced
smile.png
but I thought I'd say that mine didn't start until 10 months. So it's probably too soon to start worrying. Once she did start laying, she was super productive and reliable. I'd say that by the end of one year, she'd probably caught up with the rest and then some.

Don't feel bad. Mine will be a year old next week and she laid one egg about six weeks ago and nothing since! I seriously think someone just put that egg in there as a joke. I am glad mine isn't the only one that hasn't started yet. Was beginning to wonder if she had a problem. Will see what happens with her.

I hate to do this, but I have 7 Jersey Giants and my co worker has the rest of the hatch (20), they all started laying at six months and are giving me one eggs a day. She gets between 17-20 eggs a day.

My Jersey Giant has just stated laying in the past 1-2 weeks. She is about 5 months old. The eggs are really small, though. They are about 3/4 the size of a regular egg.

I got two Jersey giant pullets middle of Aug when the seller was able to sex her chicks. She said they hatched in June but didn't give a date. So they are probably a maximum of six months and could be less.
I figured they would start laying next spring after all I heard about JG's being late maturing.
Within the last few days I noticed their combs going from a purplish red to a more red.
This morning my husband brought in a nice sized brown egg (smaller than the extra large store bought eggs in the fridge, but not by much.) and this afternoon brought in another identical to the first in both color and size.
Not sure if the same hen laid both eggs, one yesterday and found this morning then another today or if both started laying at the same time. Any ideas? If I find two the same day, then I'll know both are laying.

well I purchased 7 bjg from tractor supply they are about 4 wks old I hear they are very hardy so far so good..don't know how many hens or roosters yet too young, but looking at there combs to me seems like 2 roosters and 5 hens we shall see..have them about 3 wks now and growing fast..cant wait for that fisrt egg first time ever with chicks this is new and exciting to me...

I just placed a order with Cackle Hatchery for 25 Black Jersey Giant pullets & 3 roosters & i am very excited about having them in my flock i know that are slower to mature but i don't mind because when they do they [from what i have read & researched ] they will be very good layer Cackle estimates from 180-260 eggs per hen a year .Boy i can't hardly wait till i get my order.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom