When do light brahmas start laying?

Quote:
The description of the egg sounds about right for a brahma. I don't have the documentation to back it up, but I firmly believe that the age when a brahma (and many other breeds) start laying has alot to do with whether they are hatchery quality or show/breeder quality.
I currently have 14 LF brahmas, 13 hens and a roo. My lights and buffs are definitely hatchery quality, both in looks and body type. My darks also came from a hatchery, but they are very close to show quality and in fact some are show quality. My lights and buffs started laying around 5 to 6 months. My darks however were the last to start laying; closer to 7 to 8 months and two didn't start laying until they were 9 1/2 months old.

I also have 4 light brahmas and its been 16 weeks and i already have 2 laying but 1 lays really big eggs and the other lays really small eggs at least twice as small is this normal
D.gif

All my light brahms chicken combs are deep red but i get really big eggs and really tiny eggs is this normal because the is there first couple eggs
yippiechickie.gif
oh and there about 18 weeks thanks

I have one Light and one Dark pullet. Both 21 weeks and 3 days old. Neither of them show ANY signs of reddening faces, squatting, or singing. They are very immature compared to the other breeds that I have. Of all the breeds I have, only one EE and my Dark Cornish are laying any eggs. They started at exactly 20 weeks. Nobody else is doing anything yet.

I have 3 LBs. They are about 15 weeks now I think (kinda lost track...). Their faces are just starting to darken up, but their combs & wattles haven't really grown much at all. They are hatchery birds. Hopefully they will start laying before too long...

My Light Brahma is 25 weeks old and she still havn't layed an egg.

Is there something wrong with her?
But she dosen't have such a red crow??????
welcome-byc.gif

What does everyone mean when they observe squatting behavior just before a hen enters into the laying cycle of her life and how do you encourage her to lay in her nesting box as opposed to under a bush in the back yard?

When they get ready to lay, they start to hunker down ( squat ) when you start to pet them. This signals readiness to a rooster. Some of mine squat/hunker down when I walk in. Mine use the boxes because I can't free range
1f612.png
. I've read you should leave them cooped so they will use the boxes. Your roosts also need to be higher than your nesting boxes.

I had a problem with them laying on the ground so i placed the eggs they laid in the nesting boxes they started laying in them as soon as i did that

Back
Top Bottom