When do muscovy ducks lay eggs?

robinjs11

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
Out of my 5 muscovy hens, only 3 are old enough to lay (hatched in march and may this year). One has laid 1 egg a day for the past month and another one started laying 1 a day this week. The one that just started has become broody. Lays in one of her multiple nests (always trying to make more), kinda hisses, and protects an egg after she lays it. Its been cold for the past 3 weeks, I have been keeping them inside the barn. Everything I read said they wouldn't be laying in December with little light and this cold out. Is this normal?

I'd say you're lucky!
1f642.png
While many Muscovy ducks will stop laying in winter and resume in spring ("seasonal" laying), some may still lay through winter. Sadly, mine are the former rather than the latter.

Are you going to let your broody hatch eggs or are you removing them? She's a very pretty girl - fawn or white?

I have been removing her eggs daily as it will be -20 for most of next month. I will let her hatch a clutch in the spring though. We gave our amish neighbors an extra drake this summer and they want some females for him. Im pleasantly surprised to be receiving eggs still and I guess im lucky! Im not sure what the color is called, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom