1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do pullets start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Oct 25, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have bought 2 pullets, they are around 16/18 weeks. I have read on here that when their faces start to turn quite red they will soon start laying, their faces are quite red so when can i expect them to start ? Here is a pic of them yesterday, not very good as they would not keep still to pose lol.
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Normally, around week 20. Should they begin a touch earlier, you'll be happy and should they not until week 23-24, you'll be OK. In other words, they lay when they lay.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    5-6 months is generally a good bet for pullets to begin laying, give the larger breeds a bit more time to mature. You're also beating the sun this time of year, so they may be mature enough, but not have enough daylight hours to actually go into lay without supportive light.

4. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    In my experience....when they freaking feel like it. LOL

Sorry not to be a downer. I have a 6 month old pullet that has had a super red face for 3 MONTHS and still no eggs.

I've noticed most hatchery hens are right around 20-24 weeks.....everyone else is when they get around to it.

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you've gotten your question answered. It does vary according to breeds and time of year. You'll have those beautiful eggs in a month or so. Until then, just enjoy those beautiful hens. [​IMG]

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you for the replies. The farm said some were already laying, will just have to wait it out lol.

7. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The hen in my avatar wasn't yet laying when I took that picture, so the red face and developed wattles and comb don't necessarily mean it's *that* close. She waited another month!

Going by what I've read on here, and my own limited experience with only three hens, they'll start laying anywhere from 18 - 30 weeks (some can take up to a year), depending on the breed, health, time of year, when the hen decides she wants to, good ol' Mother Nature, and of course Murphy's Law, which round here means the more you want it to happen, the longer you'll have to wait! LOL

8. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:One of our 9 chickens started laying at 18.5 weeks roughly. It took nearly a full month for another to start laying with her. All 9 have roughly the same hatch day and now 7 weeks later (25.5ish weeks old) only 5 of our 9 chickens have started to lay eggs.

Hang in there. If they lay before 24 weeks old that is great! You are right though, when they start to develop the red waddles and comb they are reaching maturity. Some of our pullets have been at the stage for 2+ months without laying however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by