When do roos turn "bad"?

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
Or at least turn into nasty teenagers?

The "chicks" are 7 weeks old now, and I definately have 4 roos and 8 hens. My plan is to keep one roo - I like the sound, the neighbors like the sound, and I like the idea....I'm not looking into a breeding program or the like, but I have room for more. I bought them all also expecting some for meat.

My plan is to send 3 of the roos to the freezer in time (knowing full well these aren't grocery store Cornish X, but we're the type of folk who eat wild turkey over store bought, and much prefer vension to beef). I have three SLW and one RIR roo.

My determining factor will be who is the best tempered roo. I've read a lot about roos here who have been coddled (for lack of a better word) only to turn nasty because they think the human isn't top chicken.

I haven't handled them all a lot - much less than I anticipated (silly work and other human activities), but there is one roo who is VERY human friendly - he will hang out and likes to be pet, comes up and hangs with us when we are by the run etc. He did "bite" my husband today - I told him to knock of sticking his fingers in there because I'd just fed them all strawberries - which said roo took out of my hand.)
smile.png

So, since he's nice now, will he turn bad? When should I start watching for bad behavior? The bugger is obviously turning favorite because of being personable. I think even hubby will be unhappy if he ends up going to be dinner (I don't expect hubby to help - we both are hunters, but I do all the game processing).

I have a 2 1/2 y/o daughter who LOVES going in with the chickens, and "flogging" will absolutely not be tolerated. I'm just curious when I should start watching for signs on aggression....

Well I had just posted where We had to put a roo down.He was an OEGB.With the grandson walking now We had picked one that We thought would be nice to Introduce him to the chicken world.He was hatched Xmas 09.He was the first to roost on brooder box and was easy to handle.He was Not over handled at all just basic petting and stuff.He was doing really good until they gradutated to coop.The last couple months he started flogging me when I went to feed.I would pet him but never "coddled" him as we have all the other's to tend and feed as well so..He continauly got worse in the last month and went to my head and face up my back and then he got the baby .BAAAAAA The roo was never treated mean by baby ever as he was ansy around him but would barely touch his wattles or head occasionaly.Well Daughter was putting something in car and the baby decided to go follow me to chicken yard.That bird was flogging him about the face lucklily no injurie's.Strike 2 with baby.He was immedialatley put down.Poor baby is terrorized basicly now even with all the super gentle young birds we have in there.I hope he will get over it.His brother(the other Black roo) Maximus looks just like him and he has been Super so far and baby wont have even a glimpse of him.He doesnt mind the duck's much just the chicken's.Usualy if one starts flogging on a daily basis they not gonna stop. And some smaller breed's can do a lot of damage especialy to a small child.I have raised some Gentle GIANT's, Depend's on the bird I guess. REST IN PEACE "BUDDY"

I'm sure not going to deal with any flogging - that's for sure. How old was the roo when he started with that?

Back
Top Bottom