When do roosters start to crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Jun 5, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    I have an Easter Egger chicken, which we have thought for a while might be a rooster. However, he/she is 9 weeks old now and still has not crowed.

Do they normally crow by now?

If it was a rooster, would the other hens (same age) lay with him all huddled up?

Thanks.
    J.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Roosters can start attempting a crow at different ages.

I had a bantam cochin start crowing at 3 weeks old. Well, it was more of a forced squeak with purpose.

I had a jersey giant that I sold at 6 months old that hadn't even attempted a crow.

A rooster won't start "annoying" the girls till his hormones start kicking in. Again that is something that depends on the individual Roo and how fast he matures. Even then the hens will still sit with him. Especially the more dominant females.

Matt

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Good question. I have two silkies that i thought were roosters but not a peep out of them yet and they are about that same age!

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I thought all ten of mine were pullets until my friendly EE made a funny squack at age 6 wks when I took the top off the brooder one morning. Caused me to take a closer look at her/him and I discovered the pea comb.

No more funny squacks until they went out to the coop at 8 wks, then he started in with the pitiful crows (so cute) then noticed the pointy feathers on the back of the neck and now at 14 wks has the most colorful sickle (spelling?) feathers on the tail.

Pea comb is looking more like a rose comb thats like a pea comb but comes up to a rounded point and getting quite red. He has perfected his crow and shows it off every morning when the sun comes up just before 5 am. Don't need an alarm clock any more.

Then discovered my other EE is also a roo about 3 wks ago. (11 wks of age). He still has a sick sounding crow. Come to find out, all of the EE's sold at the feed store April 21 from Privet Hatchery turned out to be roos. I'm keeping them both as long as they play nice. Feed Store has a farmer who wants them, if not.

All of my ten big chicks pile up on the 6" x 10" roost at night climbing over and under until they are next to their favorite of the night. At times the two EE roos are next to each other, at times they will have a chick between them.

This is my 1st EE crower at 8.5 wks of age
    [​IMG]

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Dont know about EEs. Varies with breed and individual chick. But I do know that once they start they never stop!! lol [​IMG]

6. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    I got my three Americaunas last June. They all got along and were always together. Early fall two began crowing. It was cute but I had to get rid of them because I live in a neighborhood. So they were a couple of months old.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had leghorns and a delaware and a marans that all started crowing at about 7 weeks.
    I have an Ameraucana that is 9 mos old and just started to crow.

It varies.

8. bantamenace

bantamenace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Tasmania
    We are quite new to chickens but our 2 boys started crowing at about 8 to 9 weeks old, at first you have to stop and listen and "think what was that??" As we had them in the house with us in a little box it was easy but if they were outside in a coop we would have missed it, then they could go without crowing for a couple days. By 12 weeks we couldnt have missed it !! [​IMG]
    They all huddle up together still now and did from the start - we call them a happy married couple [​IMG]

9. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:I bought two silkies, hoping for pullets, but one of my silkies is showing roo signs...if you want a roo and don't end up with one, keep in touch, maybe we can trade...LOL [​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They usually start crowing around.... ummm.... sun up!? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by