1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do roosters start to crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Mine just started. he is four months old. [​IMG] Cochin X something. [​IMG]

2. Jamin Mayer

Jamin Mayer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Longmont
    Correction. I have a blue legged Golden Penciled Hamberg. (I found it last night). Boy did my kids like the name of that...

3. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yesterday morning I heard a horrible noise coming from the brooder, and thought somebody was dying, so I ran into the room and found the runt among my 4-week-old Welsummers attempting to crow. The others were looking at him like he was crazy. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Mine are around 10 weeks, I have 14 dark brahmas and they do not crow yet. I guess it all depends on the bird. I looked on YouTube and played them a rooster crowing on my iPhone, and it seemed to freak them out! They all ran and hid. I guess they were startled by "the other rooster" [​IMG]

5. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I have some SLW from TSC they are 5 weeks old and I'm sure I heard a crow about 5:30 this morning. Probably the one that has been challenging me for the last week. I know who's going to be Sunday dinner 1st.

1 person likes this.
  6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I don't know how old he was, but there was a darling roo at the swap I went to Saturday that reminded me of a teenage boy with a "cracking" voice. The poor little thing kept trying to crow, but all that would come out was "squeak-a-doodle-squeak"!

2 people like this.
  7. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:Crowing at 1:30 am??? Please no! My roo is 4 weeks and no crowing yet, but I am sure it is coming!

8. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    My boys are 7 weeks old~ and I am hoping they are gender confused and never crow!!! They are the sweetest chickens ever~ more friendly than my female [​IMG] If they start crowing I'll have to give them up [​IMG] Unless I can keep atleast one of them maybe indoors? You think the neighbors would hear the noise from in the house? Haha Nah~ Then with my luck my parrot would learn to crow and that would just be complete madness! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. MrPaloma

MrPaloma New Egg

May 16, 2012
    Dunno about local ordinances, but believe neighbors within x number of feet from where chickens live may lodge a complaint. Our strategy, bringing in a new rooster on purpose, is to give eggs to our neighbors occasionally. Start before the crowing begins!

10. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I know this is an old post but I just saw it! I have a 9 week old Bantam that crowed for the first time on Sunday,and she/he was born on April 1 also!! I am really hoping she is a roo. Her name is Cinderella but will be changed to Prince Charming if she is a he!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by