When do Salmon Faverolles start to lay?

Nope...but now they are 5 months old and still no eggs...but they are getting bigger, redder combs and tiny little wattles now. So, I'm still hopeful that it will be soon.

I only have one Faverolles in my flock. Frou Frou is 22 weeks old and showing great interest in the nesting boxes. Then so are the other pullets from her hatch date (2 wyandottes). They have been rearranging the nesting pads and herbs. Half the time the dummy eggs are tucked in the corners. (We have 3 hens that are laying as part of our current flock. That is why they have had access to the boxes for almost two months.) Her comb is darkening and her wattles are pronounced. I do have to say she is the beardless wonder. No indication of a beard or muffs at all. She is from a hatchery (MPC). I will update once that first egg shows up.

I only have one Faverolles in my flock. Frou Frou is 22 weeks old and showing great interest in the nesting boxes. Then so are the other pullets from her hatch date (2 wyandottes). They have been rearranging the nesting pads and herbs. Half the time the dummy eggs are tucked in the corners. (We have 3 hens that are laying as part of our current flock. That is why they have had access to the boxes for almost two months.) Her comb is darkening and her wattles are pronounced. I do have to say she is the beardless wonder. No indication of a beard or muffs at all. She is from a hatchery (MPC). I will update once that first egg shows up.

Here is my update...

Frou Frou laid her first egg today at 26 weeks old. She turned 26 weeks yesterday. She started squatting at the end of last week and today there was a small cream colored egg in the coop. I think it took her by surprise because she has been tearing up the nests and I heard a distressing scream from the coop. I checked on the birds and they were all fine. One of the dummy eggs was missing from the nests so I checked the coop and found the Faverolles egg instead.

For reference it has been in the very low 40s at night and in the high 50s-low 60s during the day for the last week or so. Tonight it is predicted to be in the 30s.

Finally got my first egg. only from one of the girls. they are now approx. 7 months old. now I am wondering if I don't have one girl and one rooster. the comb on one is a little bigger, but searching the web, you can absolutly tell girl from boy. x your fingers more eggs to come.

Mine just laid her first egg at 16 weeks AND its the middle of January in Milwaukee! Had to go online and see if that was normal, it was so fast!

For ANY breed, that is extremely early and highly unusual. Even the fast developing Mediterranean types or egg laying hybrids rarely start before 19-20 weeks.

@Mariecpark, Congrats on your egg!...my second girl just laid her first egg this week as well. about 2 months behind her sister. so I would say she is about 30 weeks old (got them in May)

@Grimm... well I was told my girls were salmon faveorells but...no beards either. I have checked all over the web and cant really id my girls in particular. but hea, now they are both laying so I am happy. hope to grow the flock this spring.

Back
Top Bottom