When Do Sebastopols Feather Out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Omniskies, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    When do Sebastopol feathers start to look Sebastopolly? I've tried looking everywhere online and can't find anything about when the feathers start to curl.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    9 to 10 weeks old they should have feathering # 1. The next Spring the feathering is as good as it probably will get, at 1 year. On the breast, ruffling is a good sign that the goose will be curly all over.

3. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Here is a good picture of different feathering in Sebastopols. The white it the background is Zeena, who only gets a few long scapular feathers, but is extremely "fluffy when in full feather. The gray, her mate Zander, is a smooth breasted and their son Zen in the front, is a smooth breasted with better feathering. Zoey, their daughter in the next picture is curly breasted. Zucherro in the next picture, their other son, has developed some curl on the breast at 10 months old. Please note, colored Sebs are a work in progress and aren't always as curly as whites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    This years goslings won't look really poofy until this Fall-Winter.
    I have found that their feathering will improve by the following Fall if they're genetically equipped to do so.
    But be forwarned...they are in prime feather during the Fall but Winter and the breeding season takes its toll on their long streamers. By the end of the breeding season (late Spring) they look pretty crappy until they molt again and re-feather during the late summer through Fall.
    Even Sebs with great feathering don't retain their long flowing feathers year round.

5. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Quote:I can't even copy those links...for some reason I can't access your page....how weird....I can't ever get to see your pics [​IMG]

6. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Quote:I can't even copy those links...for some reason I can't access your page....how weird....I can't ever get to see your pics [​IMG]

I have no clue-do you have them blocked-everyone else gets my Pics Can you download them as an attachment? Does anybody know why she can't see these?[​IMG] I'm no help.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008

I have no clue-do you have them blocked-everyone else gets my Pics Can you download them as an attachment? Does anybody know why she can't see these?[​IMG] I'm no help.

I just clicked on your pictures and saw immediately saw them.

Suzy

8. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I can see the photos embedded in your message so I'm totally confused. [​IMG]

9. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    So I have 8 week old Sebbies. Do you think they will be ready for the county fair in Sept? How about poultry shows in November/Dec/Jan?

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I took mine to the county fair last year in September and they were fully feathered. I think mine were younger too.

Just make sure you keep them on grass and a pool of clean water to keep them pristeen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by