When do silkie ear lobes turn blue? Can't find that info any where!

jaybme

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Mountain View, CA (San Jose)
Hi all, there is so much information on the web about Silkies, but I can't find anything on WHEN their ear lobes turn blue. I have 8 week old bearded partridge and 13 week old bearded white silkies, and no blue yet.

I was wondering if it is a maturity indicator or just flaws on mine
wink.png

Thanks for any info! Jayne

Mine are usually blueish at like 6-8 weeks old, then often lose it at about 5 months old. However, it sticks on some, but not on others. Why, probably because I don't raise show quality birds. They are lawn ornaments and an Asian delicacy so don't conform to standards that I'd follow if I was going for show types. Really it will depend on strain and individual bird, which is why you are probably having a hard time finding the info.

I've got the funniest story about them being an asian delicacy. It includes my show silkies, the state fair show this past weekend, and an asian college student. It was hilarious! I'll have to tell it later when I have more time to type it out.

Would love to hear that story!
lol.png

My friend went into Chinatown in San Francisco, and found live silkies for sale. Chopping block ready and for a small fee they will clean them for you. UGH.

While I am asking questions- do you move your silkies outside at 8 weeks, or take away their heat? I have been acclimating my tow younger ones all week, and left them in the coop last night for the first time. RAN out to check them this morning and they seem happy and fine. My three older ones went out when it was warm, so I was not worried, but now it is 45 at night.

I guess none of mine will have turquoise ear lobes- darn.

Thanks for your replies. If you find out more let me know!

Don't know if the colors mean anything, but they taste just like chicken. Just another culture that accepts eating fresh chicken from the market rather than water packed cornish x. I treat them just like any other chicken and they lose their light at about 6 weeks in the spring when temps are in the 40's at night. They are pretty tough, just make sure they sleep in draft free coops and perches aren't too high so they can get to them.

If they are blue, they are barely visible. I just went and looked at the two chicks that I have in the brooder, both are 2 1/2 weeks old and neither one of them have visible blue ear lobes. I'm sure blue lobes come in as they grow older.

Yep they taste they same. Just like chicken. Kinda strange the first time you have black chicken soup. In china the black meat is thought to bring luck and healing. They also say if a guy eats a soup made from the black testicles you are supposed to be more spunky in the bedroom. I am surprised that there is not an infomercial for a canned testicle soup yet with a smiling guy waving like on the enzyte commercials.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom