When do silkie ear lobes turn blue? Can't find that info any where!

So, where's that story?!?!
tongue.png

It's kind of strange when people give you funny looks, when you think it's strange, that they think it's strange, you eat black skin chicken. LOL

Well, My question is sort of answered. My 20 week old silkie has dark blue lobes, and my 15 week old silkie roo suddenly has the bright turquios! Tomorrow I will lool at the other 15 week old and see if she has the same.

It looks like it is genetic- when they get them, and IF they get them...

Jayne

I have noticed that my baby silkies earlobes are black, then they are turning a dark purple/plum color..they are about 3 months, but my 5 month is really starting to turn the blue color..so just keep checking they will turn.. :)

Thanks for the info. I'm taking photos weekly to show their growth, and when/if they get the blue ears. Probablly dumb question... white chick will be white chicken corect? (Some of my other breeds feathered out a different color)

Here are my babies at almost 4 weeks old.

Popcorn (lightest) Silver (a little darker)

Blue (next darkest) Grey (darkest)

Ruff Fluff (feathers are just ruffed up)

love.gif
Do they need to stay under a light longer than regular feathered chicks?

Last edited:
My silkies lobes were very blue when I got them at 6 weeks old. I was told they are blue from hatch...not sure how true this is though.
If they are blue, they are barely visible. I just went and looked at the two chicks that I have in the brooder, both are 2 1/2 weeks old and neither one of them have visible blue ear lobes. I'm sure blue lobes come in as they grow older.
Well, My question is sort of answered. My 20 week old silkie has dark blue lobes, and my 15 week old silkie roo suddenly has the bright turquios! Tomorrow I will lool at the other 15 week old and see if she has the same. It looks like it is genetic- when they get them, and IF they get them... Jayne
ive never asked myself that question so idk
I have noticed that my baby silkies earlobes are black, then they are turning a dark purple/plum color..they are about 3 months, but my 5 month is really starting to turn the blue color..so just keep checking they will turn.. :)
Here are my babies at almost 4 weeks old. Popcorn (lightest) Silver (a little darker) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Blue (next darkest) Grey (darkest) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Ruff Fluff (feathers are just ruffed up) :love Do they need to stay under a light longer than regular feathered chicks?
:thumbsup I noticed today that my fuzz balls have slightly purple ears! 4 weeks old tomarrow. :yiipchick
Its so neat watching them grow.

Hi all, there is so much information on the web about Silkies, but I can't find anything on WHEN their ear lobes turn blue. I have 8 week old bearded partridge and 13 week old bearded white silkies, and no blue yet.

I was wondering if it is a maturity indicator or just flaws on mine
wink.png

Thanks for any info! Jayne
I finally found the answer!!! I asked a silkie Breeder, and she said 4 or 5 months old is when they turn blue, if they are going to!!!

Back
Top Bottom