Jesus is my life
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all!

I was wondering when do speckled sussex generally start laying? My girl is almost 21 weeks, has a pink face, is performing the egg squat occasionally and is singing. She is showing no interest in the nests though.

They should lay anywhere between 22-26 weeks. The egg noises and squatting could be a sign that eggs are forming in their system. Keep in mind that the chickens body begins forming the egg within the oviduct about 7 days before it is actually laid. They hen could quite possibly be feeling the eggs coming on and has started to react. Don't worry that she hasn't shown any interest in the nesting box, as she still might not know what it is used for. A few of my hens have laid their first eggs outside of the nesting boxes on the floor of the coop. A quick tip to kind of ensure that the pullets lay in the nest boxes is to buy some dummy eggs (wooden eggs found at craft stores) and place them in the nesting boxes. I have done this with all my pullets recently and they have all laid their first eggs in the nest boxes. Once a few birds start laying, the dummy eggs can be removed as the other birds will catch on.

P.S - regarding the squat - in my experience I have always gotten an egg within one week of my hen squatting. The position is for reproductive purposes, so this is a clear sign that her egg laying is firing up. Enjoy your first eggs! They're always the most fun to get!!!

Got my first egg yesterday!
big_smile.png

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have another question for you. Speckled Sussex is a breed I am considering adding to my flock next spring .Are yours hatchery or breeder SSs?

From the reading I have done, I was under the impression (and I have been known to be wrong more often than right
hu.gif
) that the hatchery SSs mature early, so I was figuring under 20 weeks.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have another question for you. Speckled Sussex is a breed I am considering adding to my flock next spring .Are yours hatchery or breeder SSs?

From the reading I have done, I was under the impression (and I have been known to be wrong more often than right
hu.gif
) that the hatchery SSs mature early, so I was figuring under 20 weeks.
I bought my girl at a feed store where she was ordered from a hatchery. She grew at the normal rate.

Back
Top Bottom