When do the eggs get bigger?

girlonthefarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
I got my first egg from my BR's on July 30. It was regular size, but was a double yolk. the next egg was tiny in comparison. We are up to 4 eggs most days from 6 BR's, with 2 more double yolks. All these eggs are smaller than the store bought small egg. I was surprised at how small they are as I thought BR's are heavy layers of large eggs. Should I just be patient it is only 3 weeks from 1st egg at 18-19 weeks??? We are sooo anxious to have lots of eggs.
big_smile.png
4 eggs just don't feed this family!

ETA: ohhh, what I meant is that once the size is established it won't change, sorry for the misunderstanding lol
roll.png

Last edited:
Oh ya they will get bigger...and bigger!!! lol...Give it a month or two , you gotta remember they are beginners and its also gonna start getting cold too, i wouldnt expect large eggs until the end of september/mid november.

But they do get bigger!

Those small first eggs are actually known as 'Pullet Bullets' because they are so tiny!

BR's are awesome chickens and you have 6 of them!
bow.gif

Young pullets should lay small eggs, nature tuning itself. Their 2nd laying season will be the real deal.

My chickens did not lay forever it seemed, 22-24 weeks for the 2 Dominiques, 1 Cochin rooster (impostor hen) and finally my female Cochin laid at like 9 months or something crazy. Re-homed the rooster and then 1 year later, we just added 2 more 1 year-old chickens. Now, we have more eggs than we can eat, but there are always things to make with them. Our dogs love scrambled eggs, cats, indoor birds and chickens all do too and they can also enjoy tasty fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom