When do the eggs get bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by girlonthefarm, Aug 24, 2011.

1. girlonthefarm

girlonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    I got my first egg from my BR's on July 30. It was regular size, but was a double yolk. the next egg was tiny in comparison. We are up to 4 eggs most days from 6 BR's, with 2 more double yolks. All these eggs are smaller than the store bought small egg. I was surprised at how small they are as I thought BR's are heavy layers of large eggs. Should I just be patient it is only 3 weeks from 1st egg at 18-19 weeks??? We are sooo anxious to have lots of eggs. [​IMG] 4 eggs just don't feed this family!

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    ETA: ohhh, what I meant is that once the size is established it won't change, sorry for the misunderstanding lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Oh ya they will get bigger...and bigger!!! lol...Give it a month or two , you gotta remember they are beginners and its also gonna start getting cold too, i wouldnt expect large eggs until the end of september/mid november.

But they do get bigger!

Those small first eggs are actually known as 'Pullet Bullets' because they are so tiny!

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Be patient, grasshopper. Those small eggs pave the way for bigger ones later after things stretch out a bit.

5. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    BR's are awesome chickens and you have 6 of them! [​IMG]

Young pullets should lay small eggs, nature tuning itself. Their 2nd laying season will be the real deal.

My chickens did not lay forever it seemed, 22-24 weeks for the 2 Dominiques, 1 Cochin rooster (impostor hen) and finally my female Cochin laid at like 9 months or something crazy. Re-homed the rooster and then 1 year later, we just added 2 more 1 year-old chickens. Now, we have more eggs than we can eat, but there are always things to make with them. Our dogs love scrambled eggs, cats, indoor birds and chickens all do too and they can also enjoy tasty fresh eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by