When do they hatch?

the3quail

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
Hi friends! So, I am incubating 11 quail eggs. 11/12 fertile. They are on day 16. When should they start hatching? we are fly to salt lake city tomorrow and unsure if I should leave some food in a small cup in the incubator

A quick google search (I don't have quail so I'm not sure how accurate this is) says 18 days is the incubation period.
I would not be hatching eggs just to travel out of town when they hatch. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

A quick google search (I don't have quail so I'm not sure how accurate this is) says 18 days is the incubation period.
I would not be hatching eggs just to travel out of town when they hatch. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
It is a family trip, and I didn't know we were flying out just until 3-4 days ago

It is a family trip, and I didn't know we were flying out just until 3-4 days ago
I would do as @JacinLarkwell suggests and get someone to watch them for you. Someone who you trust, and give them a rundown of what they need to do before you go.
How long is your trip?
I'd leave chicks (not sure what baby quail are called) in an incubator for 12 hours tops. I've hatched chickens before, and once they are warm and fluffed up, they have a tendency to play soccer with their hatching siblings.
Hope everything goes well. :fl

I would do as @JacinLarkwell suggests and get someone to watch them for you. Someone who you trust, and give them a rundown of what they need to do before you go.
How long is your trip?
I'd leave chicks (not sure what baby quail are called) in an incubator for 12 hours tops. I've hatched chickens before, and once they are warm and fluffed up, they have a tendency to play soccer with their hatching siblings.
Hope everything goes well. :fl
We will be returning Thursday night. We have someone coming over to watch our pets, a family friend. I'll write her a list of what to do with them.

Back
Top Bottom