when do they lay

Depends on the breed of hen...a rooster may harrass the hen so that she won't lay or hide really well to lay.
Light breeds, like Leghorns, Polish and Anconas mature early so you can get eggs from them around 18+ weeks.
Heavy breeds, like Cochins, Brahmas, Rocks and Orps may not lay until they're almost 6 months old.
Obelisk was hatched on Memorial Day of 03 and she started laying in November.

My barred rocks were laying at 17 weeks then my buff orps, light brahmas, and RIR, and partridge rocks were laying at about 18+ weeks.

And as for your roo... no you do not need him for your hen to lay eggs! You just need him for breeding.

Pullets start laying between ~ 4 to 6 months old - with the caveat that if they get to the point that they're ready and it's winter they may hold off till spring.

-Frank

My ladies just turned 18wks.. no eggs yet
sad.png
. I agree with the others, depends on the breed. Glad to read from WindyOaksYokes that the BRs were laying at 17, but guess mine aren't going for that!

I think we are all waiting for our first eggs with baited breath!

-Meghan

I have 2 pullets that are part cochin and 1 that is part ameraucana. They are 23 weeks old and we still haven't seen an egg. I think its because of the shorter days/less light.
Good luck.

My Dom's (one of whom may be a Barred Rock) and my Ameraucana will be four months this weekend and still no eggs. How will I know when they start? In case they decide my nest boxes are not to snuff and start laying under the deck, or in some other god forsaken place?

I have Browns and Blacks and they started at an amazing young 15 weeks. I have noticed that some of them have nice full combs and wattles and others don't. The more full combs and wattles the more eggs I'm getting.

Their combs and wattles and face will get very pink. Their vents, if you wanna get that close to the business end of a chicken, will look moist and pink.
Another sign is the hen acts like her butt is on fire. She'll go in and out and lay and paceand make all sorts of sounds and generally act like a Leghorn on crack.

Back
Top Bottom