When do they start laying regularly after first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MadAngler, Aug 25, 2014.

1. MadAngler

MadAngler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    My Coop
    Hello,

I have 6 red sex links. They are 21 weeks old.
    We found our first soft-shell egg 10 days ago.
    We found our first hard-shell egg 8 days ago.

It has been 8 more days. Since then, we've got about 5 total eggs. They have all been in the same nest box and quite small.

What's up?
    I assume that one hen is laying these eggs.

When will the other hens start laying?
    When will the eggs get bigger?

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    We have 6 Red Stars and they are laying machines!! Give them a few days. Yes, the first ones were small. But now...
    [​IMG]

Red Stars are awesome layers!! Give 'em time. They lay one a day, every day. And double yolkers are NOT uncommon!

All the best to ya!

3. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

They lay when their body says OK I guess. I had one lay for 14 straight days and then she quit for 7. She's just starting up again. I think she starting laying too early and her body couldn't take it anymore. She started at 15 weeks. She's starting to come back but laying small eggs as if she just started laying. Don't rush it. They need time to develope. I thought I was losing her for a few days there. She seemed to lose weight. Keep them clean, fresh water, unlimited feed....they will lay when they are ready. Watch for the squat...if they squat they are almost there.

4. MadAngler

Apr 14, 2014
    My Coop
    We found another soft shell egg this morning. This egg was on the poop board. I wonder if another hen is trying to figure it out...

5. MadAngler

Apr 14, 2014
    My Coop
    We found 2 more eggs today.

It has been 14 days since the first egg was found. When are they going to really get going?

1 person likes this.
  6. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    It's hard to be patient, isn't it? :)
    My 6 RSL's started laying last year at about 23 weeks. I could never tell who was laying what. I think I was getting multiple eggs daily quite quickly. Are you feeding layer feed and offering extra calcium? Do you have a golf ball in your laying boxes?

Nessa's girls and chikkenfriend like this.
  7. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Quote: Good questions. Though we aren't using layer feed. We're still on grower for the extra protein. And absolutely using oyster shell. So, are you? Golf balls, too? (we used those, in the beginning)

8. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT

We haven't used the golf balls since they started regularly laying inthe nest boxes. We use layer feed and keep a tray of oyster shells available. We still get some thin shelled eggs on occasion though.

9. MadAngler

Apr 14, 2014
    My Coop
    Well... We got 4 eggs yesterday (from 6 hens). The eggs were small but maybe the floodgates have opened...

I switched them to layer feed about a week ago. The package said to swithc at 16 weeks and it was closer to 20 weeks.

I have oyster shell but haven't given any. How do I give it? Just free access in a feeder? That is what I did with grit.

10. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes in a seperate dish. I went and bought a small rabbit feeder and screwed it to the wall. Less mess and less waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by