When do they start laying?

spencereb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Tennessee
Couple of summers ago we inherited a couple of pullets. Accidents happen, and our Husky dog relieved us of one:(. The survivor seemed lonely and a friend of ours had a rooster he was anxious to let go, so we adopted him:D. We began to get eggs on a regular basis. Then we decided to let her raise a family. How neat was this, about ten little chicks. They grew up and we gave away all but one hen. This daughter began laying last summer sometime, so we were getting two eggs a day. The first hen later had yet another little family. They hatched July 04, 2006, this was a real easy date to remember. We kept two of those hens. Now for the question... mama and the first daughter still deliver two a day, but when should we expect these last two hens to start laying? They are over seven months old now. Do hens ever not lay?
Thanks,
Spence

They should start anytime now. There's a full moon in about 2 weeks.
tongue.png

Hens need at least 14 hours of daylight to lay up to their full potentials. Right now, I'm getting almost 12 hours. My Silkie mix Pullet was laying every day up until 2 weeks ago when she went broody:mad: and my almost 4 year old Leghorn Hen hasn't started up again yet. It also depends on the breed of chicken. Heavy Breeds like Brahmas, Orps, and EE are late bloomers and will lay when they're older. Light Breeds like Leghorns, Anconas and Polish will start sooner.

Back
Top Bottom