When do turkey poults start to show their secondary sex characteristcs

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
I'm really enjoying my first three turkeys. Two weigh 2.5 ounces and one weighs 2.25 ounces. They are broad breasted bronze and I can't wait till they get into the 30-40 lb range.

I am looking forward to a strutting tom though. So to those who have kept the meat breeds, when was it that you saw them begin to show their secondary sex characteristics and/or strut.

Thanks a bunch all!

It varies greatly, but on more than one occasion, I've had 10 day old toms begin to strut. I am in no way into this childish poultry-as-pets nonsense, but it is the cutest thing to see.

Yes. Better yet, why don't you pick up a few of the standard breeds? You can eat the BB's, and you'll have the original breeds to enjoy for years.

I would have but I am going to graduate school this fall so am going to be liquidating a good number of my pets. I'll be 5 hours away living without acreage so won't be able to properly care for dozens of birds.

My mom doesn't want to be left with a few thousand feet of garden to tend and dozens of birds either! LOL. I don't blame her, she already went though raising me. She said 6 chickens and a few tomatoes is all she wants.

However, I am for sure going to get more turkey's in the future when I either go home or get my own property!

Quote:
Whats wrong with poultry as pets? People have dogs as pets don't they? Cats? Fish? And many others. So whats wrong with a few chickens, turkeys, ducks, or geese as pets?

if you have a tom he should start trying to an strutting around 3 to 6wks.they are fun to watch strutting.

A tom would definately start strutting before it is time to butcher. They are so cute when they start as babies! When you can have some that are heritage breeds, they are awesome to see - especially their second year as adults!

There is nothing wrong with poultry as pets, it is just that most of them are really not meant as pets. Most are bred to produce food. Poultry, for the most part, are happy NOT being pets. Where as dogs and cats seem to miss human companionship to a certain extent. They are meant to be pets. To each his own, I say. I adore my poultry and love raising them and taking care of them, but I allow them to be poultry and we do eat some of them, too. Only a couple have voluntarily been really friendly - most of them prefer to do poultry things and to keep their distance.

DeAnna

Our three BBB's were very sedate as chicks and we never observed any differential behaviors (all three developed Spradle Leg at about a month and only one survived for 5 months) compared to the Slates and Royals. We weren't expecting to see any displaying in the Slates and Royals (owing to what info was available-and our brief experience with BBB's) until a few months had passed. However, by three weeks, three started with the wing dragging and chest butting and sure as heck never changed!

Our BBB's were way too social and easy going (much more so than the Slates and Royals). Best to just feed `em plenty and don't spend any significant time around them.

well now heres the problem ha ha, all of my turkeys strut even the hen. she even tries thumping. I know she is a she because started getting eggs from her. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom