when do turkeys start laying eggs?

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question about when they stop for the year. If I understand correctly, they last seasonally. May through September (ish). Mine started in March, but quit at the end of April. Thoughts?

Got my girl as a couple of weeks old poult in early June, have run her free range with our chickens all summer in Bulgaria. Thought we had lost her 4 days ago, but she turned up late in the day absolutely ravenous. Found her broody on a clutch of 10 (sadly infertile eggs). Heck of a shock as she is a max 6 months old didn't expect lat, let alone broody! Have exchanged her turkey eggs for fertile chicken eggs with no problem. So instead of the Xmas table, she gets to run on next spring and we will buy in a couple more plus a stag. She comes off the eggs morning and late afternoon for food, water, toileting and a quick dust bath.

We live about 80 miles from the coast near Houston so I wasn't expecting my turkey eggs until February/March 2019 time frame. My hens were born April 2018. Here it is mid October and I just got my first egg! I am not even going to try to see if it is fertile since there is only one and we don't yet have an incubator. This is awesome! Crazy, but awesome!

I have a pair of red bourbon turkeys they were hatched in May 2017
She has not produced an egg yet what is going on i’m getting ready to get rid of her what should I do

I have a pair of red bourbon turkeys they were hatched in May 2017
She has not produced an egg yet what is going on i’m getting ready to get rid of her what should I do
Turkeys are seasonal layers. Although they are mature at 6 months old, they normally do not lay their first eggs until the spring of the year following the year they were hatched in. If you are in the northern hemisphere and are not providing supplemental lighting, I would not expect your hen to begin laying until mid March of next year.

My spring turkeys do not lay until the following spring. My fall turkeys also start laying in spring. It would be rare for a spring turkey to lay for the first time in the fall. Something about spring triggers them. I guess the amount of daylight.
I currently have spring hens(two of them) that started laying like crazy this fall. They started at 24 weeks and now going on 27 weeks and have laid over 40 eggs collectively! They’re just starting to go a bit broody now. They share a nest. They’re still laying.

Back
Top Bottom