when do U just tear down the old coop and bulit a new 1? ***pic heavy*

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have an old wooden shed that is being used for a coop...until I got the gals in there this summer i did not think it was in that bad of shape but as the summer progressed I started to realise just how bad it is..

the 4X4's for the floor are almost completly rotten
when it was first bulit the walls were made of press board
(which is now rotting off)
the inside walls are the same press board but because they do not get exposed to the weather they are somewhat fine

the roof is good in most spots...

DH says next year we will tear it down and rebulid...BUT if i can save some money and repair rather then rebulid that would be great...I am not looking for a 5 star coop here just safe and comfortable..

south wall ..the red bricks are not part of the coop they are there for storage (another project in the works)
13904_dsc03144.jpg

north wall and chicken door
13904_dsc03145.jpg

full view of run (they are in this for the days with full access to the coop they free range at night when I get in from work)
13904_dsc03146.jpg

inside looking at the inside south wall (there is 2 hens in the one nest)
13904_dsc03147.jpg

inside looking at the north wall the square is the door to the run
13904_dsc03148.jpg

looking from the people door to the back the 1/2 wall is where they roost for the night and in the back of the coop is where I store my coop stuff like shovels and wood chips (no food is kept in there)
13904_dsc03149.jpg

edited to add pics

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i just added the pics ...I know its not a pretty sight but it is functional...

thats what I was thinking buster but you see DH thinks we need to rebulid....now i need help convincing him that i was right once again...
lau.gif

OK...let me get this straight...you've got a husband that actually wants to build you a new coop??!! But you don't want that?
th.gif
Are you nuts??!!
smile.png
If mine even offered to help me to do anything with my chickens I'd fall over dead! Actually if it was me I'd take the new shed....right next to the old one so I'd get two coops out of the deal.
roll.png

OPPS i forgot to add that my DH has a LOT in common with Tim "the toolman Taylor" from home improvments....

he says it will take a weekend : which really means 6 months

he says a few hundres dollars : which really meant over a grand (I just left work to go back to school next week) dont have that kind of cash right now

he says it will be easy : which means a lot of headache for me...

dont get me wrong my DH is brillant when it comes to machines...If i wanted my coop bulit from angle iron and sheet metal..hey hes the man

those red bricks in the first pic are from a lean to type shelter that was supposd to be bulit in MAY for his riding lawn mower

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we went through the same sort of decision when we decided to turn a one car attached garage into living space. We thought initially we would just renovate the existing structure, but in the end the project entailed more than 50% of the existing strucutre was being changed, so in the end we just tore it down.

So that's how I would approach it; that is, if you just want what you have, but with a new roof and a a new floor, then a rehab might work.

But if you really want more upgrades (electricity, running water, heat and/or insulation, a modfied footprint on the building, new windows, etc.) then it might just be better to tear it down and start from scratch.

Just my 2 cents,
Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom