When do we give up roos?

katychick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Newbie question here, we know we have several cockerels that eventually have to go when they start crowing for sure but if we don't want to raise more baby chicks when do they need to go? Keep in mind all of our chickies are 10 weeks old and have not laid any eggs yet.

I'm not completely sure what you are asking here.

A cockerel will attempt to mount the pullets as they come into lay. Often, this is about 19 weeks for both sexes. But, if you do not incubate the eggs in an incubator, you'll not have have chicks. Most breeds of chicken do not go broody, that is, sit on the eggs for 22 days to hatch the chicks. Silkies are one of the most likely breeds to go broody.

If you collect the eggs everyday, you've no concern about getting chicks.

Last edited:
I'm not completely sure what you are asking here.

A cockerel will attempt to mount the pullets as they come into lay.  Often, this is about 19 weeks for both sexes.  But, if you do not incubate the eggs in an incubator, you'll not have have chicks.  Most breeds of chicken do not go broody, that is, sit on the eggs for 22 days to hatch the chicks.  Silkies are one of the most likely breeds to go broody.

If you collect the eggs everyday, you've no concern about getting chicks.

I told you I was a newbie, ha ha. So a "fertilized" egg is edible? I know I must sound ridiculous to you! :)

Fertile eggs are eaten all the time. Many eggs at the store, especially the organic eggs at the fancier markets are fertile. It is a speck so small that you can barely see it, even it you know exactly what to look for. People don't know or care, well, they don't know anyhow. LOL

No worries.

Thanks guys!! I learn something new everyday in this adventure of chicken raising!!!

Back
Top Bottom