1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do you call it quits.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zookeeper9000, May 10, 2008.

1. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    When do you call it quits? My 21st day was Thursday the 8th @ 6:30 pm. My first chick was born on the 7th @ 8:30 am, my last chick was born @ 3.30 on Friday the 9th. I still have 15 in the bator. When do I give up on these babies. I thought Monday but I am not sure. Do I check one now or wait? Do I candle to check it? I did a search but after searching for ever I still haven't found that info. Thanks

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I normally wait 3 days from the time the first hatched. Even then I candle to see if I can find any movement.

At that point I open the eggs slowly, going in through the air cell on the big end.

Matt

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would just candle to check for movement. If there is movement I would put a sponge soaked in hot water in the bator to bump up the humidity.

4. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    My humitity is at 75 to 80 percent do I bump that up it has been that way for the whole hatch I had 23 hatch and have 15 left Thanks

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Nope. leave it at 75-80% that is perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by