When do you collect your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by summerb76, Jan 5, 2009.

1. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    I got my 1st 2 eggs on 12/31 and have been getting 2-4 every day since then. I go out each morning to gather them but I find only one if that. I go out numerous times a day hoping to get more and I usually do. But my chickens seem to lay at all hours of the day, even one that lays at about 3-4pm. I thought that they would all lay in the morning. Will they ever all lay in the morning or will they keep my running to the coop every 2 hours to get more eggs? Also one more question...I have 21 hens and 5 for are laying, will the others start because they see the 5 who do lay? They are all the same age 21 weeks the day of the first eggs. And how many should I expect to get on most days? I know that was more than one question, I just love this forum thing, it is so useful!!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I check in the morning, and the afternoon. If its very cold, in the winter, I check a couple more times because they freeze quick.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    chickens can lay anytime during the day. there is no set time for them. they cycle in 25-26 hr. periods of time. so if one lays at 9 am, the next day she may lay at about 10-11 am and so on. but, they may skip a day or two etc.

i collect several times a day, simply because Michigan is cold and i want unfrozen eggs. in the fall/spring, two or three peeks a day does it. in summer, i collect often so the eggs don't get too hot.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

All your pullets will reach maturity at different times and I've never seen anything to support an acceleration in maturity by cohabitating with other hens that are laying....but still, who knows? [​IMG] Women who live together seem to develop synchronous ovulation, so why not chickens? [​IMG]

My chickens lay throughout the day and are usually done by 2-3 pm unless their routine has been disturbed. I collect eggs once in the evening~ when I feed, check water and commune with the gals.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I make several trips out to the animals...at least twice a day, so I while I'm there I always check the boxes. That way there aren't any eggs left behind.

6. Lilandra

Lilandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    I water the birds twice a day and collect eggs then - the birds are off the nests and busy elsewhere so I don't feel like I am disturbing them and also I don't get pecked as much as a surprise egg collecting visit does. During the summer, I let the birds out in the late morning so the eggs are laid inside and not under the bushes, plus when I am outside alot, I check frequently so things do spoil in the heat.

as with anything, there isn't a "right" way to do it... collect your eggs whenever you can on your schedule. if you feel some have sat out too long in the heat or got frozen, smash them up shells and all and mix it with some water or feed and give it back to them or your other livestock. no worries - there are plenty more eggs where those came from and its not worth making yourself sick with rotten eggs.

[​IMG]

7. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    well... I check at least twice a day but i'm lucky to get 1 egg a week [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I check several times a day, thinking if I keep checking surely they will lay [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I gather my eggs around 400 p.m.

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Same with me. I usually make the last check around 4pm in the winter and 8pm in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by