When do you let new chickens out side?

It hasn't gotten over 45 degrees here, is that to cold to take them from heat lamp for a play date outside in the coop?
The age of your chicks is an important factor. Whether they've been acclimatized to cooler temps is important. You can't take baby chicks out of a warm brooder and expose them to such cold temps without some conditioning.

So, I would say no. It's probably too cold.

The age of your chicks is an important factor. Whether they've been acclimatized to cooler temps is important. You can't take baby chicks out of a warm brooder and expose them to such cold temps without some conditioning.

So, I would say no. It's probably too cold.

That's what I thought. They are moving away from the heat lamp every now and then. Presently 4 chicks and one duck are 2 weeks old, one chick is a week old and 2 ducks are three weeks old.

It hasn't gotten over 45 degrees here, is that to cold to take them from heat lamp for a play date outside in the coop?
Right, I would be concerned about it as well. I am in Oregon, we got to 70 two days ago. WHOOHOOO! but we are back down in temp. I would love to take my babies outside, and thought about it on the 70 day, but I was worried about the cold.

Out here (midwest) temps can rise to comfortable and then drop like a ton of bricks half an hour later. Something you have to think about - don't walk off and leave them in pen or crate, without checking often to see if they are cold or too hot.

Back
Top Bottom