When do you think these girls will start laying?

Dec 5, 2020
Australia
So everyone, these little ladies are now nearly eighteen weeks old and I am wondering when they will begin to lay? Will it be around 25 weeks or sooner? I don't really mind but, you know, the sooner the better!!! I was hoping that some of you might be able to tell by their combs and wattles, etc. They have not started squatting or anything yet, but they might be close to laying?
DSCN1508.JPG
DSCN1506.JPG
DSCN1510.JPG
DSCN1511.JPG
DSCN1512.JPG
DSCN1514.JPG
DSCN1515.JPG
DSCN1516.JPG
DSCN1519.JPG
DSCN1525.JPG
DSCN1526.JPG
DSCN1527.JPG
DSCN1530.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1530.JPG
    DSCN1530.JPG
    698.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1511.JPG
    DSCN1511.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I don’t know where you live. If it is really cold there it may take a little longer however I would say about 22 to 23 weeks. I have different breeds than you. I have three Black Orpingtons, three Swedish Flower hens, and three Cream Legbars. Mine all started laying around that number of weeks except for one who had suffered badly during the summer from our terrible heat in MS and she didn’t start laying till just this past week which was about four months beyond the other 8 girls. I had practically given up on her and she is my lead hen actually which is surprising. She has always been the boss from day one as a chick two days old upon arrival. You have some nice hens by the way. It won’t be long before you have eggs. I bet before another month goes by you will be rocking and rolling. Good luck with them. I usually get six to eight eggs a day.

They have not started squatting or anything yet, but they might be close to laying?
A couple look pretty 'reddy'.
Here's some tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Kiwi....so guessing your Down Under?
but.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614095786582.png

A couple look pretty 'reddy'.
Here's some tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Kiwi....so guessing your Down Under?
but.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2542007
Yes, I'm a kiwi living in Australia. It is getting colder where I am now. I was reading somewhere that Sussex chickens lay from 16-20 weeks, but that's too early surely? I have a Sussex cross. My little black girl with the red comb has been making these loud calls lately ( you know the ones they make when they are wandering or looking round or something). A few days ago she jumped into the box with hay in it, and was looking round in there ( the other chickens came over and watched her in it) And then today she jumped in there and scratched around a bit in there. Could this mean she is close?

I don’t know where you live. If it is really cold there it may take a little longer however I would say about 22 to 23 weeks. I have different breeds than you. I have three Black Orpingtons, three Swedish Flower hens, and three Cream Legbars. Mine all started laying around that number of weeks except for one who had suffered badly during the summer from our terrible heat in MS and she didn’t start laying till just this past week which was about four months beyond the other 8 girls. I had practically given up on her and she is my lead hen actually which is surprising. She has always been the boss from day one as a chick two days old upon arrival. You have some nice hens by the way. It won’t be long before you have eggs. I bet before another month goes by you will be rocking and rolling. Good luck with them. I usually get six to eight eggs a day.
Thank you!!!

A few days ago she jumped into the box with hay in it, and was looking round in there ( the other chickens came over and watched her in it) And then today she jumped in there and scratched around a bit in there. Could this mean she is close?
Yes, it does.
I find that when they start scratching around in the nests eggs will appear within days.

Back
Top Bottom