When do you wash the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aspen47591, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Do you wash the eggs when you bring them in? Before you use them? What do you use to wash them?

I read that you can force bacteria through the shells if washed to forcefully.

What's the scoop, gang?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't wash mine unless they are pretty dirty; they are laid with a very thin layer on them called bloom. The bloom seals the pores of the egg, thus not allowing bacteria in. If you wash them, you wash the bloom off and definitely CAN introduce bacteria into the egg. If they are dirty enough that they need to be washed, run your water until it is warmer than the egg is, but not too hot!! The bloom also helps keep eggs fresh longer. Enjoy!

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We never wash our eggs. If you do, it removes the bloom, which protects the egg. I've read that if you have to wash the eggs, you should lightly oil them with veggie oil and wipe it dry with a paper towel.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I don't unless they are soiled and then right before use. I use water and a towel.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't wash em.....

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have always only rinsed mine well under warm water and wiped them with paper towel right before cooking them. I would never wash mine before storing them.

7. I don't wash mine until I start to use them, and I tell whoever buys my eggs that I don't wash them so they stay fresh longer.So far no complaints. marrie

8. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question, and glad someone asked it! I'm expecting my girls to start laying at the end of September.....now I'll know not to wash the eggs.

I love this site for such great, friendly advice!!! [​IMG]

9. Quote:Ditto...

10. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    If you wash them, how long will they last? Can eggs sit in the fridge for a month or only a couple of weeks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by