When do you wash the eggs?

If you wash them, how long will they last? Can eggs sit in the fridge for a month or only a couple of weeks?

We don't keep eggs around that long:D but heard they will be good for a month 1/2 or longer
fl.gif

The ones you get in the store are already a few weeks old.Eww gross!​

I would assume most people who buy fresh eggs use them fairly soon. I have competition with one woman who sells eggs for a bit less than me.......but I sell more because the folks say they don't want to buy dirty eggs. Not bragging but just the simple truth.

Bad enough having poo in the coop and run......I don't want it in my fridge. LOL

Never wash, very rarely ever had poop that couldn't be brushed off. The key to clean eggs are clean nests that aren't overcrowded with too many hens. Also having nest boxes elevated above the coop floor.

I also only wash our eggs right before I use them. I was told that they stay fresher longer if you don't wash them, now I know what Bloom is all about
smile.png

My family and friends don't mind if they are dirty. That's what you get when you want farm fresh!
thumbsup.gif

I only wash if there is dirt on them & then i clean that nest box. The lady at the state candling class told me if you wash your eggs never use water warmer than the eggs. she said warm water OPENS the eggs pores & lets bacteria IN.. Colder water does not... that what she said & she is the main lady!!

As a kid we always washed them with warm water and wiped them with a towel.

We sold a lot of eggs and never had any complaints.

Folks like clean eggs and turn their nose up with those that have poo on them.

Remember, the hens poo and egg both come out of the same hole. (vent)

Quote:
We don't keep eggs around that long:D but heard they will be good for a month 1/2 or longer
fl.gif

The ones you get in the store are already a few weeks old.Eww gross!

I was at the CNE (Canadian National Exibition) and there was an egg farmer there and I asked him how long I can keep my eggs for he told me at least a month IF i did not wash them because of the bloom protecting them..he said the eggs that are in the store are about one week old (dont know how much of that I believe) I guess it depends on how fast your store sells them...BUT he did tell me that if I had a question about how fresh the egg was then to do the "float" method...a fresh egg sinks and if it bobs right at the surface then it is old use it fast or when in doubt throw it out..

Back
Top Bottom