When do Your Chickens come in for the winter ?

We live in Westchester County in NY and we let them go out of their coop and into the run at all times. Ours don't mind walking and pecking through the snow, but they go in when it is snowing. A couple of heat lamps during the night and even days if we think it is too cold

Quote:
Got that right sista.

I open my coop every day that it's above 0F. My hens don't like going out into the snow. The run is covered and gets just a skiff of snow and they won't even go out into that. Whatever - the door gets opened every day in case they want to adventure out.

I use a ceramic heat emitter bulb 24/7 from late November through March. My coop averaged around 12F through the winter. When it dipped down into the -20F's for a couple weeks, I added another heat lamp just trying to keep the coop above 0. I think the coldest my coop got inside is -5F. No frostbite, but I have pretty good ventilation and zero draft.

Hope this helps.

I live in the south. The extreme winters in my area are usually 28-30 degrees. My chickens don't seem to mind it to much. They act just like they do in any other weather. They seem to handle the winter better than the heat of summer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom