When do your roos crow?

kindir

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Connecticut
I'm curious as to what specific events make other roosters crow (other than the random crowing that they all do). Mine crow as soon as I let my dogs out in the morning and they crow when I get home because they know that's when I bring the treats. They also typically crow when a hen is about to or has just finished laying an egg.

On the rare occasion that I'm home all day I've noticed that they are relatively quiet for most of the day. They are loudest in the morning and when I get home. About a month ago I moved one pen with my bantam roo right next to the pen with my Black Australorp and there was a LOT of crowing the next few days
lau.gif

Whenever he darn well feels like it.

Actually, he appears to have his reasons, like Something Is Going On, or I just got home, or I haven't come out to the run yet with morning treats, or the neighbor's dog started barking, or the rooster somewhere Over There A Ways has issued a challenge and that starts a crowing contest,

I just don't understand the middle of the night crowing. It makes me come out to check, but I never see or hear anything. Makes me nervous. WHAT is he trying to warn against??

But I love the late afternoon, standing on the roof of the coop, simply crowing for the heck of it because he's a rooster and he just feels good.

My two roosters crow when they hear me open up my other coop. They continue crowing until I let them out. They come piling out of the coop and tell me good morning with about 20 crows. Then they are quiet for the rest of the day. (Light Brahmas)

My roo crows when he feels like it and I have never figured out what inspires him. However, if my 16 year old son is out and about I always know when he's com'n through the back gate cause the roo crows and sure enough I soon hear the bells on the gate .

When we let them out in the morning.

Whenever he sees me in the yard.

When the kids next door to home from school.

When it's time for all the chickens to go into the coop.

When the mailman comes.

When the neighbor walks her dog.

When the wild turkeys walk by.

And right now, for no apparent reason whatsoever.

However, at least he doesn't crow at night! (knock on wood)

yuckyuck.gif
this is my experience as well (well, I don't have wild turkeys... hahaha .... but the gist is the same!) he crows all the time for any number of reasons!

Last edited:
I've never noticed a pattern for what makes my roosters crow.

Thankfully they only crow during the day - well, from very early morning until evening. They usually don't crow after dark in the evening.

I can definitely tell when the two roosters are crowing for competition, and i can tell when it's an alarm, but the rest of the time, i think they just like to hear themselves sing.

Just about all of the time. They seem quiet between 7pm and 2am, but then they go from then on. They seem to think there's a chicken monster around. We have never had a problem with them thar varmits. We have 3 dogs that keep everything away, but the roo's will crow when a finch flies into the yard. They are crazy boys!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom