When does fall egg laying typically start?

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
my peas ended laying 7/2/14.
now 3 weeks later they've started laying again.... idk if this is fall laying?
our boy shed his tail and I think is starting to grow a new one... not sure tho, never shed his tail support feathers.
They're about 2years and 3-4 months old now.
Thanks.
fyi - they started laying in the beginning of march this year, wondering if they started laying early then it would effect how early they lay now?

my peas ended laying 7/2/14.
now 3 weeks later they've started laying again.... idk if this is fall laying?
our boy shed his tail and I think is starting to grow a new one... not sure tho, never shed his tail support feathers.
They're about 2years and 3-4 months old now.
Thanks.
fyi - they started laying in the beginning of march this year, wondering if they started laying early then it would effect how early they lay now?

Hello! From what I understand, your hens stopped laying, and you are wondering why they started again. Hens will lay regularly unless stopped by an internal or external stimuli that throws them off, such as extreme heat (why I assume they stopped), extreme cold, sickness, pecking order, lack of food, lack of water, broodyness, etc. My chickens have always laid all summer, then slowed down in winter. However, my coworkers hens have stopped laying due to the heat. She says they will start again in about a month when the temp drops a bit.

As to fall laying, I have never heard of this, however many spring chicks will start laying in early fall....

I doubt this helps, I just thought I'd share my experience.

oh I thought they laid in spring then fall, still learning.
well the last few - 9 or so eggs - they had laid were not fertile/didn't develop. my friend got them and I know she's incubating correctly, so I thought that was the end of laying since they stopped also. now I'm afraid these eggs are not fertile, so I don't want to sell them, but my friend also has my incubator... so I'm going to take these eggs over there and see if they develop. - she has the nine that so far we can't see anything... but she doesn't want to give up so we're just going to add the new eggs and see what happens. I'm hopefull they'll develop :)

I'm no expert, but mine laid a bunch, even when it was blazing hot and then stopped laying. A few weeks later they started laying again.

-Kathy

Hello! From what I understand, your hens stopped laying, and you are wondering why they started again. Hens will lay regularly unless stopped by an internal or external stimuli that throws them off, such as extreme heat (why I assume they stopped), extreme cold, sickness, pecking order, lack of food, lack of water, broodyness, etc. My chickens have always laid all summer, then slowed down in winter. However, my coworkers hens have stopped laying due to the heat. She says they will start again in about a month when the temp drops a bit.

As to fall laying, I have never heard of this, however many spring chicks will start laying in early fall....

I doubt this helps, I just thought I'd share my experience.
Peafowl are a bit different from chickens, their laying season is very short.
wink.png

silly birds!!! so I guess the question now is if they're fertile or if we should just eat them? I see him out there displaying, no tail and all. and truthfully hadn't seen him display since they'd stopped laying, so now more displaying and more eggs... have never seen they actually "fertilize" the eggs, but we got chicks and so did people who got eggs. so.... hope of getting more chicks is going up :)

Peafowl are a bit different from chickens, their laying season is very short.;)

Good to know! (I thought when she wrote pea it was a typo for hens or something. Haha. What are the differences?

No one had responded so I'm glad I could at least give the thread a bump!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom